Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

f***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
So I am going through a custody battle with my ex husband.
With the way things are looking I am going to lose because I can't afford the lawyer fees nor the guardian ad litems fee.
I don't know what else to do. I keep thinking my child is going to hate me thinking I gave up. Didn't want her.

Before people suggest loans, I did. I paid the lawyer 2,000 and had to repay the loan place 3900. Lawyer just sent me another bill saying I owe her an additional 1600. Fucking bitch hasn't even gone to court one time.

If its not one thing, its another.

Go ahead you anonymous bitches an bash. You can't bring me any lower than I already feel.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Sorry.

BethanyCO6777
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Im so sorry! Thats awful, I dont know what I would do, but maybe keep trying? Can you keep getting loans and pay the lawyer, and then file bankruptcy later? Hate to suggest that, but if you have to.... Its not the worst thing that can happen to you, and its off your record in 7 years.

EAzizM
by Erica on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM
That sucks. Lawyers are worthless in cases like these.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Do you have legal aid in your area? What about talking to your ex and y'all share 50/50.
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Wow this sucks. I worry about this kinda shit with my son's father, but then again, that fool shows how much of an idiot he is on a regular basis. No smart judge would ever hand a kid to him, full time.  I hope you're able to find some kind of way to get the odds to sway in your favor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Mediation costs a few hundred and ex isn't willing to settle out of court.

Quoting Daveson:

Will you still have visits? They cant take your rights away.theres no way to work it out of court? Unless theres saftey concerns I would try a mediator or something the only people that do well in court are the lawyers.so sorry.That really sucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Believe me I tried, begged and pleaded. Their budget was cut and their only accepting abused women.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have legal aid in your area? What about talking to your ex and y'all share 50/50.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I Have spent over 9k on ds1 and around 7k on ds2 for legal battles. I am now on about 3k towards my grandparents rights case.... that my parents are doing to simply try and bankrupt me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Legal Aid won't help with everything, but I'm pretty sure custody is something they do handle.  Before you think you might get an inferior lawyer there, consider that if they were in it just for the money, they'd go into private practice.  Also, it's possible that some of the lawyers involved DO have private practices - but giving time to legal aid is a way to "give back."  I had to file bankruptcy many years ago and couldn't afford the "going rate" - seriously.  It wasn't through legal aid per se, but I did find a lawyer who would handle cases like mine for a VERY reduced fee and she also had a "regular" practice.  You would probably have to show that you were in financial need to be eligible - income to debt ratio and all that.  It won't help with what you already owe the current lawyer, but just a thought...Good luck. 

Also - worst case - if you DID lose the custody battle you should still be entitled to regular visitation as ordered by the court.  So long as you pursued that, I don't think your daughter would feel you "abandoned" her.  Some things kids can't fully understand when they happen, but as she gets older she will. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Its not cheap, thats for sure.
Good luck.

Quoting bustybee:

I Have spent over 9k on ds1 and around 7k on ds2 for legal battles. I am now on about 3k towards my grandparents rights case.... that my parents are doing to simply try and bankrupt me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)