Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Women Had Better Figures In The 50's than today????? WHAT!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 15 Replies

A group of so-called experts (probably men) in the U.K. have released a new study suggesting that women had better figures in the 1950s... because they did more housework.

Researchers surveyed 8,000 men and women on their waist sizes, calorie intake and lifestyle and then compared those results with the average statistics for adults in 1952.

Sixty years ago, the average woman’s waistline measured 28 inches. Today, it comes in at 34 inches - a full six inches larger.

What do they consider to be the main culprit in the increase? Housewives in generations past would burn up to 1,000 calories a day doing chores, and modern appliances that make housework easier.

The study found that in 1965, women not employed outside the home spent an average of 25.7 hours a week on housework (excluding childcare), and their counterparts in 2010 spent an average of only 13.3 hours "If you think back to the 1950s most women would not even have had a washing machine," Doctor Ros Altmann, lead researcher, told the Daily Mail. "They wouldn't have had duvets so the simple task of making a bed would have demanded far more physical activity. Women would have burned a significant number of calories just keeping the house going."

So there you have it. Apparently women shouldn't bother with silly things like joining a gym or taking a yoga class... we just need to get to work cleaning the house and baking some pies.

Have you been sexually assualted? Been in a controlling relationship? Have you ever felt no one knows how you feel?  Well i do. Click on my siggy and join my support group! Hope to see you there!

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mattiehatter
by Mary on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think a lot of it had to do with the clothes of the 50's.

tlcory
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I can believe this. 

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM

so do i.  lol

Quoting mattiehatter:

I think a lot of it had to do with the clothes of the 50's.

Have you been sexually assualted? Been in a controlling relationship? Have you ever felt no one knows how you feel?  Well i do. Click on my siggy and join my support group! Hope to see you there!

boldrumble
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Less processed food
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Let me tell you when I get stuck washing clothes by hand my arms and abs hurt like a mother fucker. In a way, I agree with the study, but it is likely biased by the old farts running the study who probably have lazy and fat trophy wives in their twenties after leaving their original wives...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Times were different...women were concerned with having that hour glass shape and the clothes helped...now muffin tops are created by low jeans thus making the waist bigger than it was in the 50's.
tiffanydearing
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

blank stare

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Ummm americans are becoming fatter in general. Doing housework has nothing to do with it.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

There were a number of reasons, I"m sure.

The constant eating and drinking, though, is probably a big one.  I was born in 1956.  Moms didn't run around with venti starbucks 800 calorie drinks - or any other drinks except maybe coffee.  Black, to watch their figure.  They didn't eat between meals - it was too much trouble, since you had to actually cook everything you ate.

And sure, there is the housework thing too.  No dryers, so hang up all the clothes (daily, if you had a family).  Diapers too.  No dishwashers.  No microwaves.  No already grated cheese.  No "sauces" or boxed meals.  One telephone - usually centrally located in the house, and long distance was expensive.  TV's went off the air at night.  No swiffers, more work.

Kenre
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I agree. I know I am exhausted after a week of work, housework and kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)