Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm sure this will be racist no matter how I say it.-AA kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 213 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm a foster parent and have 2 little girls right now. Both are AA and I'm white. They have braids or dreadlocks, I don't know the difference. It's tiny braids done all over their heads. Their hair is super brittle and smells. I want to take out the braids but the kids freaked out. They're 6 and 4 btw. They won't let me touch it. I don't know how to get out the braids, what to wash it with, how to style it, if I can blow dry it...the kids say their mom did their hair and has no idea what she did lol. 

If you have AA girls or boys or are AA, what do you use on your hair? How do you style it? It is incredibly unruly right now, some of the braids are coming undone, so how do you tame the hair? I'm embarrssed to ask this because I know it seems racist, but I just don't know what to do. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM
18 moms liked this

This does not sound racist at all.  It sounds like you need help.  I hope someone has answers for you. :)

CallMeSwarley
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

BUMP!

beachbabies6

BUMP!

MalakbelLacuna

I dont think it sounds racist. I hope someone will help you

angie729
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I would take them to someone to have their hair done..maybe a mini spa like day for them and they would open up some to having their hair done.

curlycupcake
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not racist! If you don't have experience with AA hair then you need to find someone who does! I'd look into salons that are familiar with AA hair. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeghMirab
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

That doesn't sound racist at all. I'd take them to a hair salon! Let the professional handle it. (: 

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM
5 moms liked this
Trying posting in the African American Moms group on here? They will definitely help you out!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Thank you!! I'm prepared for the bashing LOL. They're adorable but incredibly malodorous. They were dirty in general when they came to me, and I'm just trying to help them feel better about themselves. Someone said something about my nasty n***** kids at the grocery store. I let that bitch have it. The girls are self-conscious and don't want to go in public because they reek and are just a mess lol. I have looked at youtube videos but I honestly don't know where to start. It doesn't look like there's rubberbands or anything on the bottom. It's just like hard and crispy.

Thank you for reassurance!

Quoting PEEK05:

This does not sound racist at all.  It sounds like you need help.  I hope someone has answers for you. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I agree with the other replies. A salon could tell you how to care for their hair properly too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN