Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was this punishment too harsh?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My children broke the neighbors potted plants and I'm just so embarrassed! I'm making them write "I will play nicely with other people's things", and write a 2 sentence apology note.
This is complete torture to them and can barely make it to the 5th line... Ages are 5&6
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Darn phone haha.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting Retrokitty:

Yes but I do not believe in writing lines for punishment.

I giggled that you posted this twice, as if you're writing lines as punishment. lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Was it an accident? Was it pure accident or due to carelessness?
Depending on the situation this is either acceptable or cushy.

Kindergarten teacher and mom.
roesbusch
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Not harsh at all. It would have been worse for them if they were mine.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Then yes, it was harsh.

I'm not in the habit of punishing for accidents. Accidents, by definition, are unintentional and we prefer to reserve punishment for intentional misbehaviours.

Further, using writing as a punishment isn't something I would advise or do myself. Writing isn't something I want my children to dislike and using it as punishment links it to something unpleasant.

But hey, to each their own.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it was

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Was it an accident?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

LovelyMommy24
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Nope, I would also offer to pay her for the potted plants they broke - then make them do chores to pay for it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Good for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

No.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Well yes and no. No they didn't do is on purpose but they were playing in an area thy weren't supposed to and I waned them not to. They did it anyways and broke it

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Then yes, it was harsh.

I'm not in the habit of punishing for accidents. Accidents, by definition, are unintentional and we prefer to reserve punishment for intentional misbehaviours.

Further, using writing as a punishment isn't something I would advise or do myself. Writing isn't something I want my children to dislike and using it as punishment links it to something unpleasant.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it was

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Was it an accident?

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM
While I agree an accident is an accident and just a misfortune, I think an apology note or picture is a good gesture. It teaches children compassion.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Then yes, it was harsh.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it was

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Was it an accident?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Sounds good to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)