Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She did whaaaa?? (funny)

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:48 AM
  • 20 Replies
3 moms liked this
Alright! Here's my mommy confession for the week and I hope you all can have a chuckle at my expense.

A week ago Thursday I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed (pregnancies had left them in horrible shape). I had put this off for well over two years because I was dreading the whole experience. The wait to get into the oral surgeon was three months so I prepared myself for every possible scenario from easy-peasy to three weeks of misery and broth for every meal. A bit extreme I'll admit but a past horrific experience with having my first cavity filled left me a bit squeamish about the "tooth people".

I knew they were gonna knock me out cold so that gave me some ease and, I'm happy to report that the procedure went very well. Three teeth broke apart and came right out, and the fourth required a bit of cutting and stitching but was not too serious. I left riding passenger in my mom's truck with my hubby in the back seat rubbing my shoulder and telling me the usual "I told you it wouldn't be bad babe.". I think I gave him a gauzy smile, but everything was still fuzzy around the edges so it could have been nothing but a snore or a drooling attempt.

Fast forward to the next day and my buddy mister Vicotin has me feeling like I'm on top of the world and ready to take on a rubber steak. Ha! Noooo not quite. My sensible side kept me from making THAT mistake. 24 hours post surgery I removed my gauzes and examined my new holey-ness. I did the salt water rinse as instructed and everything looked wonderful. I was feeling so good that I went to bed without gauze, and I'm a fly catcher when I sleep. Big mistake. I awoke in the middle of the night to the onset of dry sockets (not completely but close enough to give me a major headache) and a very sore jaw. Drank water a swished away until my next dose of powdered numbness kicked in and promptly replaced those gauzes.

Two days later I'm not feeling quite as perfect. The jaw was still sore but I decided to go gauze free for the whole day. By midday all of my teeth began to feel a bit uncomfortable. I recognized the feeling from my younger years when I had braces. They were movingggggg. Oh the flashbacks!! The misery!!

Another two days pass and the pain and "itchy gums" were beginning to affect my mood and judgement. Anyone who has felt that can identify with that state, I'm pretty sure. By this point I was running out of options for relief. Orajel and other numbing agents had made me question the existence of my tongue and ice packs just weren't cutting the mustard. I was standing in the kitchen steeling myself for another round of pudding and water when I saw it.

There, in the rack that I keep the baby's bottle parts in for safekeeping was my salvation. A cute, yellow, ice cream cone shaped TEETHER. I eyed it for a moment before throwing my hesitancy out the window. I slipped that puppy in between my front teeth and nibbled gently first, then a bit more aggressively. Before I knew it I was a slobbery mess. The ecstasy! The relief! (I now completely understand why my baby boy loves it so much... Lol)

At that moment who should walk through the door but my oldest boy, hubby, and one of my close friends bringing me some chicken noodle soup. There was no time to hide it. I had been caught red handed. They all stood there for a moment with puzzled looks before my kiddo's comment broke the silence. "Mommy, that's for Jojo! Are you trying to teach him how to use it, cuz he already does it right!"

The laughter exploded from the other two in the door and all I could do was shake my head and keep on chewing. The damage to my reputation had already been done so I decided to get my relief on and ham it up.

I used that teether for two more days, when the baby wasn't occupying it of course, and finally I had to return to work. I'm crazy enough to use it in the privacy of my home but not among a bunch of guys. Haha. I am happy to report that it's working too! I conquered a chip yesterday afternoon and the itchy feeling has all but disappeared. I now have a new appreciation for a squishy, water-filled chew toy

Have you ever done something unorthodox in a time of desperation that you can look back and laugh at?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenGray
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM
1 mom liked this

this is an awesome story and should be on the main page thingy! I have not had an experience like that!

cajun_lady_swla
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Thank you so much :). Some things are just too funny to not share.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Funny. AND a joy to read. Beautifully written!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmfao.
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Hilarious. Thank you!
Eshadowgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats awesome...:)...Gotta use what you can for relief. Hope your feelin better!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Wow
I can't believe how sweet ur family is , ur mom picking you up , ur husband rubbing ur back . Omg im jealous . I got my four wisdom teeth out in high school , had to go to school with blood everywhere , then just could not take it soo I jumped the hs fence , went to my friends and passed out on the floor . Then I couldn't get any pain relivers cuz my aunt said I didn't need it . My aunt did rent me a movie Jason in space lol .
jbirdsladie27
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Glad you're feeling better.
cajun_lady_swla
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM
That is beyond uncool man! Not only having to go to school so soon, but the no meds at all. I'm a pretty tough little bird but I was very grateful for the first several days worth of medicated assistance.

As far as my family goes they're really an incredible group. I'm fortunate enough to have a mom and dad that's my best buds as well as my go-to for advice and that occasional "what are you thinking!?!" smack on the back of the head I need, my husband is my best friend and my babies are my reason for breathing. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow

I can't believe how sweet ur family is , ur mom picking you up , ur husband rubbing ur back . Omg im jealous . I got my four wisdom teeth out in high school , had to go to school with blood everywhere , then just could not take it soo I jumped the hs fence , went to my friends and passed out on the floor . Then I couldn't get any pain relivers cuz my aunt said I didn't need it . My aunt did rent me a movie Jason in space lol .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cajun_lady_swla
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Thank you ma'am :D

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

Wow. Funny. AND a joy to read. Beautifully written!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)