Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Twilight" is Ruining my Sister's Marriage

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 131 Replies
2 moms liked this

My sister is in her early 30s with a wonderful husband and two kids (4 and 1).  Her husband and my DH are best friends yet they live quite far from us.  For the past 2 years her husband has been communicating with us that he is really worried about her.  She is very non-communicative, she doesn't interact well with the kids, she won't leave the house and he feels she is lying to him about what she does during the day - she is a SAHM.

When then"Twilight" books first came out, my sis thought they were awesome.  She would post excerpts, biographies about the characters, and when the movies came out, clips and pictures all on her FB page.  I kind of shrugged them off.  Thought it was weird and a little obsessive, but nothing to be concerned about, sort of like a teen crush.  Sis eventually changed her FB, and deleted all her friends other than friends she had on a "Twilight" chat group.  She said that she did it because she only used FB to communicate with her "Twilight" friends.

I went out to visit her last month and was shocked.  She spends all day, every day, communicating with other women on this chat group.  They discuss, ad nausium, specific details about the movies and books.  She completely ignores her kids while she is chatting and when her DH calls or comes home, she lies about what she has been doing.  She doesn't see it as a problem but rather a normal release of stress.  But she fantasizes about the characters to the point that sometimes I am not sure if she realizes they are not real.  

Sorry so long, but I think she needs help but don't know how to convince her or her husband that something is seriously wrong.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Be blunt and just tell them that something is wrong and that you want her to get help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imultracool
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow. I don't know honestly. Seems pretty crazy. Have you talked to bil about the obsession? Does he know about it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM
My dh has the same kind of problem with FB, but its with his debate pages. Good luck though. I've pleaded with the guy several times to no avail. Thinking of leaving.
imultracool
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM
3 moms liked this
Maybe she has ppd and she is using twilight to escape from it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I have but I don't think he truely understands how disturbing it is.  Hell, I have trouble understanding it!  She laughs it off as her "guilty little pleasure" but she is seriously obsessed.  When her husband is home, she will jump on-line when he leaves the room, even for just a few minutes.  She will have conversations with the characters when she thinks no one will hear her.

I think she is suffering from depression and is using "Twilight" as her release but she doesn't think it is a problem and she is very good at hiding her obsessin.

Quoting imultracool:

Wow. I don't know honestly. Seems pretty crazy. Have you talked to bil about the obsession? Does he know about it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I just posted that I think so too.  But she doesn't seem to think it is a problem which makes it difficult.

Quoting imultracool:

Maybe she has ppd and she is using twilight to escape from it.

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Addiction is a powerful thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

yeah she needs to be admitted to the hospital at least so she can be evaluated. easier said than done especially if her and her husband are not willing to fully accept there is a problem and make some tough decisions.I'm sorry op i think it will reach a certain breaking point so to speak and her husband will end up having to call for assistance in taking her to the hospital to be evaluated by cpep( basically a mental health councilor)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Maybe have her go to a group therapy , like im an alcoholic type thing but for obsession . Thats a different way to escape from being a sahm
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I am afraid it is going to reach that point.  Right now, DH and I are trying to figure out how best to communicate with her husband that this is a serious issue.  She is very good at hiding her obsession.  She didn't hide it in front of me because she felt safe and she honestly doesn't think that she has a problem.  If it were alcohol, gambling, or drugs, we would have better resources to deal with it but this kind of "addiction" is a little bit of uncharted territory.

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah she needs to be admitted to the hospital at least so she can be evaluated. easier said than done especially if her and her husband are not willing to fully accept there is a problem and make some tough decisions.I'm sorry op i think it will reach a certain breaking point so to speak and her husband will end up having to call for assistance in taking her to the hospital to be evaluated by cpep( basically a mental health councilor)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)