Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Twilight" is Ruining my Sister's Marriage

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sister is in her early 30s with a wonderful husband and two kids (4 and 1).  Her husband and my DH are best friends yet they live quite far from us.  For the past 2 years her husband has been communicating with us that he is really worried about her.  She is very non-communicative, she doesn't interact well with the kids, she won't leave the house and he feels she is lying to him about what she does during the day - she is a SAHM.

When then"Twilight" books first came out, my sis thought they were awesome.  She would post excerpts, biographies about the characters, and when the movies came out, clips and pictures all on her FB page.  I kind of shrugged them off.  Thought it was weird and a little obsessive, but nothing to be concerned about, sort of like a teen crush.  Sis eventually changed her FB, and deleted all her friends other than friends she had on a "Twilight" chat group.  She said that she did it because she only used FB to communicate with her "Twilight" friends.

I went out to visit her last month and was shocked.  She spends all day, every day, communicating with other women on this chat group.  They discuss, ad nausium, specific details about the movies and books.  She completely ignores her kids while she is chatting and when her DH calls or comes home, she lies about what she has been doing.  She doesn't see it as a problem but rather a normal release of stress.  But she fantasizes about the characters to the point that sometimes I am not sure if she realizes they are not real.  

Sorry so long, but I think she needs help but don't know how to convince her or her husband that something is seriously wrong.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
MaryLu86
by Emmy on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I agree. But I'm not sure how you would go about handling the issue since she doesn't seem to think its a problem.

Quoting imultracool:

Maybe she has ppd and she is using twilight to escape from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Yup. Same thing happened with my cousins wife then she started cheating.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Twilight isn't ruining the marriage, your sister is. It's like blaming Facebook for a divorce. Your sister needs counseling. Something in her life is lacking and she's using Twilight as an escape.
Lalalie
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

She has an obsession.

Since she is neglecting the kids for it her husband needs to know.
She needs help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I realize that "Twilight" isn't the culprit - my sis's obsession with fictional characters is.  It could be "Harry Potter", "Game of Thrones", or "Winnie-the pooh".  But there is an extensive on-line community who discuss and exchange ideas about "Twilight" and while I am not blaming these communities, I think they contribute to her problem.  Many days she spends talking to only a few women in her on-line group so I think my sis is not the only one who has this obsession.

Quoting Anonymous:

Twilight isn't ruining the marriage, your sister is. It's like blaming Facebook for a divorce. Your sister needs counseling. Something in her life is lacking and she's using Twilight as an escape.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Wow, she does need help. I mean, I've always been a huge Harry Potter fan, but it never interfered with my life and reality. This isn't a "guilty pleasure", this is an obsession and it will ruin her life. I don't know if there's anything you can do in terms of getting the help she obviously needs, but doesn't want. You can talk to a psychiatrist or counselor and ask them for advice, it's all I got.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I don't think, at least at this point, she would cheat.  I don't think any man would measure up to Edward.  Unfortunately, in her mind, her husband can't compare.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup. Same thing happened with my cousins wife then she started cheating.

rockgal81
by Steph on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Thats freaking weird! She needs psychological help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Actually in most states it takes 2 family members going to probate court to file a suit to have someone put in for an eval...

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah she needs to be admitted to the hospital at least so she can be evaluated. easier said than done especially if her and her husband are not willing to fully accept there is a problem and make some tough decisions.I'm sorry op i think it will reach a certain breaking point so to speak and her husband will end up having to call for assistance in taking her to the hospital to be evaluated by cpep( basically a mental health councilor)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured