Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Twilight" is Ruining my Sister's Marriage

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sister is in her early 30s with a wonderful husband and two kids (4 and 1).  Her husband and my DH are best friends yet they live quite far from us.  For the past 2 years her husband has been communicating with us that he is really worried about her.  She is very non-communicative, she doesn't interact well with the kids, she won't leave the house and he feels she is lying to him about what she does during the day - she is a SAHM.

When then"Twilight" books first came out, my sis thought they were awesome.  She would post excerpts, biographies about the characters, and when the movies came out, clips and pictures all on her FB page.  I kind of shrugged them off.  Thought it was weird and a little obsessive, but nothing to be concerned about, sort of like a teen crush.  Sis eventually changed her FB, and deleted all her friends other than friends she had on a "Twilight" chat group.  She said that she did it because she only used FB to communicate with her "Twilight" friends.

I went out to visit her last month and was shocked.  She spends all day, every day, communicating with other women on this chat group.  They discuss, ad nausium, specific details about the movies and books.  She completely ignores her kids while she is chatting and when her DH calls or comes home, she lies about what she has been doing.  She doesn't see it as a problem but rather a normal release of stress.  But she fantasizes about the characters to the point that sometimes I am not sure if she realizes they are not real.  

Sorry so long, but I think she needs help but don't know how to convince her or her husband that something is seriously wrong.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Replies (111-120):
HelenesDreams
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I'm thinking the only way is to first talk with her..and be honest up front about how her family is being affected by her obsession. Then..if she chooses to not change then the only thing is "nature" will take it's course. I mean usually people who are like this really have underlying issues.  I sometimes think that the only way people learn is the "school of hard knocks"...because it aint easy changing people.  just my 2 cents..

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not Twilights fault she is crazy...I know of Harry Potter fans that way too. Some people can't tell the dfference between fantasy and reality, they need to seek professional help.

SaGe_Ed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Discussing things ad nauseum with other women online all day long...  hmmmmm...  sounds like me on cm.  lol 

Honestly tho, it does sound like she needs some professional help.  Hopefully she gets it.

cherib82
by Post Killer on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM
But, I just talked to Jacob. He said he loved me not her.

Quoting harehelper:

Wait--What do you mean the Twilight characters aren't real????

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I agree.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think Twilight is ruining your sisters marriage.  Your sister is ruining her marriage. 

That's like blaming McDonalds for obesity in this country. 

MomLife16
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I understand using books to get a little away time but she's taking it too far. I would try looking up some info and maybe asking a therapist if they've run into anything like that and know of ways to help. GL
jmama0307
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I love Twilight as I also have a little obsession but def not beyond where I delete each friend of my fb only have contact with people who has the same interest. I find that a bit odd. I have all the movies the first poster the books, bracelet, a shirt and a jewelry box. I do have a friend that is like that every time she post on fb about Twilight even deleted scenes interviews and even the making of the movie. I find that a tad annoying. I try my best not to talk about Twilight with her or I'll never hear the end of it with her. I just stick to our kids and school. I love Twilight but def not fill my fb page full of Twilight or anything about Twilight. I think you should talk to her husband esp like it's your sister you have a better chance. 

I could relate cause I was like that when I read the books. I am also like that on shows I get hooked on. 

mommytoacloud
by Angel on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM
You just said it yourself she likes to escape reality are you sure therres no abuse its not just physical and even if she says no
Tinabee88
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM
She needs an intervention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bero2007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM
She needs her Internet cut off. Completely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)