Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Twilight" is Ruining my Sister's Marriage

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sister is in her early 30s with a wonderful husband and two kids (4 and 1).  Her husband and my DH are best friends yet they live quite far from us.  For the past 2 years her husband has been communicating with us that he is really worried about her.  She is very non-communicative, she doesn't interact well with the kids, she won't leave the house and he feels she is lying to him about what she does during the day - she is a SAHM.

When then"Twilight" books first came out, my sis thought they were awesome.  She would post excerpts, biographies about the characters, and when the movies came out, clips and pictures all on her FB page.  I kind of shrugged them off.  Thought it was weird and a little obsessive, but nothing to be concerned about, sort of like a teen crush.  Sis eventually changed her FB, and deleted all her friends other than friends she had on a "Twilight" chat group.  She said that she did it because she only used FB to communicate with her "Twilight" friends.

I went out to visit her last month and was shocked.  She spends all day, every day, communicating with other women on this chat group.  They discuss, ad nausium, specific details about the movies and books.  She completely ignores her kids while she is chatting and when her DH calls or comes home, she lies about what she has been doing.  She doesn't see it as a problem but rather a normal release of stress.  But she fantasizes about the characters to the point that sometimes I am not sure if she realizes they are not real.  

Sorry so long, but I think she needs help but don't know how to convince her or her husband that something is seriously wrong.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
EAzizM
by Erica on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell him to disconnect the internet. Then he will realize how bad it truly is. That is really weird though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I did that with anime to escape my abusive family and then to help me battle my PTSD and depression from being abused. I had a therapist and she needs one too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I knew that series was evil when it first came out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

My sister doesn't have any immediate family besides me and her husband.  Would we have to prove that she was a danger to herself or others?  I just feel that this is so weird, albeit truely an obsession, but so far, other than not paying as much attention to her kids as I think she should, she is not posing a danger.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually in most states it takes 2 family members going to probate court to file a suit to have someone put in for an eval...

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah she needs to be admitted to the hospital at least so she can be evaluated. easier said than done especially if her and her husband are not willing to fully accept there is a problem and make some tough decisions.I'm sorry op i think it will reach a certain breaking point so to speak and her husband will end up having to call for assistance in taking her to the hospital to be evaluated by cpep( basically a mental health councilor)

TCain0001
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Wow!  I know I'm a big Twilight fan myself, but DAMN!   That's a little toooooo much.......she needs some help, especially if she's ignoring the kids over it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I bet some husband's would blame CM for the same reason. She definitely needs help. I know how easy it can be to use the internet to escape reality.
MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Have him put hidden cameras facing the computer, then he'll see how bad she is and have proof for anyone who may be able to help her. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I am so sorry.  I do understand that my sis is trying to escape from her family.  There is no abuse but in her mind, not as "perfect" as her fantasy.  I just don't know how to get her help or even make her understand that this is a problem.  If you don't mind me asking, how did you stop anime? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I did that with anime to escape my abusive family and then to help me battle my PTSD and depression from being abused. I had a therapist and she needs one too.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

She's living her happiness though fictional characters, so obviously that is lacking in her real life. She was probably unhappy for a long time...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
If she is doing other things like not caring for herself and kids you could push for it... Worth a shot. She wouldn't know. And a husband and sil count as family.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sister doesn't have any immediate family besides me and her husband.  Would we have to prove that she was a danger to herself or others?  I just feel that this is so weird, albeit truely an obsession, but so far, other than not paying as much attention to her kids as I think she should, she is not posing a danger.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually in most states it takes 2 family members going to probate court to file a suit to have someone put in for an eval...

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah she needs to be admitted to the hospital at least so she can be evaluated. easier said than done especially if her and her husband are not willing to fully accept there is a problem and make some tough decisions.I'm sorry op i think it will reach a certain breaking point so to speak and her husband will end up having to call for assistance in taking her to the hospital to be evaluated by cpep( basically a mental health councilor)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)