Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you live on $40.00an hour?

Posted by   + Show Post
I see all these posts asking how much can you live on? So ok how much would be considered enough for the lot of you to live comfortably?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
JLah
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I would deff take 40 an hr. 

skippito
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
A family of 4 in maine living off a lot less than that lol! We have a budget but splurge now and then, definately within our means.
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this

After taxes, that comes out to be just over $5k a month.  The answer to your question would depend upon how high your mortgage or rent is, how many teenage vultures live with you, and what kind of bills you have.

For us, that would be barely scraping by.  We live in the most expensive state in the country (NJ), have four children, a $2,800 mortgage, and hub works 58 miles away from home (at least $500 a month in gas just to get back and forth to work).

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
With some cuts, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

We are a family of 5 living on a combined income of about $38 an hour and it's not easy. We have what we need and save for what we want. But we certaily aren't completely "comfortable". 

Anonymous
Family of 5 in Texas living in $21/hr. for a long time we were just one income an that was before my raises. I think I was a $18/hr or so? Don't remember.
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I always get a kick out of posts like this, I'm sure there's someone out there that will say that they can't live on making that much an hour.

Quoting Anonymous:

this cant be a serious question. we would be rich if we made $40 an hour.

Anonymous
Yes $40 is not rich, but decently comfortable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM
We are a family of 4 in small town Wisconsin. My DH makes $20/hour and I am a SAHM!!!

We live comfortably
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured