Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you live on $40.00an hour?

Posted by   + Show Post
I see all these posts asking how much can you live on? So ok how much would be considered enough for the lot of you to live comfortably?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (231-240):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I lived on $18.75 an hour and I lived on $2,000 a month,,,    you just got to make adjustments to your life.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly it depends. Currently yes we could. However if someone was making a lot more than that and got laid off or had to step down due to injury or illness then they may struggle. You don't have enough information and we don't know everybody's situation to say otherwise .
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM

DH and I make $40/hour each,now I work PT though,and he works FT.  We are comfortably middle class just outside a large city in the Midwest.   SO far from kings and queens here.We have a mortgage,no car payments,no day care payments.  It all depends where you live.  I'm sure that $40/hour is nowhere near enough to live in say,NYC or LA. 

Quoting AnonyMOUSE715:

Wow I wish me and my fiance were making that each. Wed be like fuckn kings n queens

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM
We do Lol! Well actually $41 (ft hours) but yes we do live on this amount. And it is our only income.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Yup we live on less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM

We are a family of 4 and live on $30/hr.

JennaPBug
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM

right now we're living on an average of $27 per hr. i'm a sahm and we have 1 kid so i think when he starts earning $36 an hr we'll be what i consider very well off lol.

Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Dude, $40? We would be rich.
gracefrog
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Quoting davnrori:

If we take our monthly pay and divide it by 160 (assuming 40hrs a week per month), my husband makes $56.67 an hour. So, no, I don't think we could make it on $40 an hour :-/

If we do the math like davnrori, my husband would make between $25 and $31 an hour. Family of 5, and fluctuate weekly between being comfortable and scraping by lol. We he has no over time it kills us! We pretty much live off his OT. I hate that he doesn't get paid wayyyy more considering he is gone for 6 days and only home 2-3.
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I think I could. It would be tight but doable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured