Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teething and 102.4 temperature on 6 month old!

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 23 Replies
Is this normal!?! He's been teething since Friday but it started with a 100.7 temp now this morning it is 102.4.
I'm going to take him into the ER but I am wondering if that temp is normal with teething?

I also took him in on Friday but dr checked everything plans said he was fine! But he didn't have a fever then. But his fever happened after we left.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
agrisham13mom
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Yes and no.... Teething does not cause higher fever, runny nose, cough, diaherra ect. That is a myth. With that being said a lot of times during the teething process babies end up with viral infections and/or ear infections at the same time. Mostly due to the fact they drool immensely and put any and everything in their mouths. As far as your child's fever did you give Motrin or Tylenol? Does the temp go down with those? Is there any other symptoms?
mylovey
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Could he be sick? Sounds more like a viral or bacterial infection to me. My 7 month old is teething, but he is also sick. He has a fever and cough. His sister has it as well, so I know it not teething all by itself. I would call his doctor, and see what they want you to do. I know when they are younger sometimes they want to see them just to be safe. It is probably just a minor infection though. I hope he feels better.

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM
4 moms liked this
Alternate ibuprofen and tylenol. Dont go.to.er for 102. You have a better chance.of catching something else.
And as pp said, teething does NOT cause runny nose or fever.
Have you learned how to.alternate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't need ER for a 102 fever and risk exposing him to some nasty bugs that are going around. Keep him hydrated and give him tylenol/motrin. Call on call if the fever doesn't go down with meds.

CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Is the baby lethargic? Is the temp controlled with Tylenol? Does the child appear to be in a great deal of pain? I personally wouldn't go to the ER for 102. You can also try Luke warm bath. If the child runs a fever for three consecutive days, is lethargic or temp isn't controlled then I would go to the doctor, not the ER.
newmommy426
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I have been giving him Tylenol but it doesn't last long.

Quoting agrisham13mom:

Yes and no.... Teething does not cause higher fever, runny nose, cough, diaherra ect. That is a myth. With that being said a lot of times during the teething process babies end up with viral infections and/or ear infections at the same time. Mostly due to the fact they drool immensely and put any and everything in their mouths. As far as your child's fever did you give Motrin or Tylenol? Does the temp go down with those? Is there any other symptoms?

newmommy426
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Thats what I thought about. Since he's weak I'm scared he will catch something. No idk how to alternale

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Alternate ibuprofen and tylenol. Dont go.to.er for 102. You have a better chance.of catching something else.

And as pp said, teething does NOT cause runny nose or fever.

Have you learned how to.alternate?

Bmama1
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Unless he's acting lethargic or not like himself, I would just alternate tylanol/motrin and keep him hydrated.
Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Alternate the two and give him a cool bath. Not freezing cold.

Quoting newmommy426:

I have been giving him Tylenol but it doesn't last long.

Quoting agrisham13mom:

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM

DO NOT take him to the ER for teething and a temperature. First off, it's not even close to being an emergency and second, you're going to expose him to stuff that will make it an emergency from all the other truly sick people.

A fever is fine. It's good. If you're sure it's from teething and not from a virus then I would give him some pain reliever/fever reducer and take away his pain and also make you more comfortable.

Fevers are GOOD for our bodies. They won't do harm until 107+.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)