Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sinkhole in fl

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 35 Replies
Does this freak anyone out? Hubs and I were discussing this on the way home last night and I sort of freaked out. I mean he rubbed my hand and laughed liked "were in north ga we have granite under us" but WHAT THE EFF IF?

UGH
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amyleigh80
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, and what if a giant meteor fell through the roof. You can't live your life preparing for the what ifs that never come. We all do t get out alive anyway right? Lol.

I do feel bad for the guy. That must have been so frightening for him and for his brother to witness.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Yes it freaks me out. When I was 17, 2 large sinkholes opened in our yard. One almost took out a large oak and the other tunneled under the house. It was raining when they opened and our neighborhood was flooded with at least 2 feet of water. The holes drained the flood and never filled up. The bottom of the holes was never found and the people who bought it used 3 dump trucks of dirt to fill them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jers.
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I saw this - completely freaked me out to be honest.

Sweetest_Britt
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
The officials there said FL is a common place due to the soil there and ground water. The actual location this occurred is "prime area" for sink holes" (kinda like tornado alley is prime for tornados).

Such a sad situation. I feel horrible for that family!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I haven't heard about any sinkholes in Florida but there are quite a few within a 15 mile radius of my house. Very common around here in Michigan.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
That's what my husband said! Ugh he said it was a 100 ft hole or something like that

Shiver , imagine falling like that to your death :(

Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

The officials there said FL is a common place due to the soil there and ground water. The actual location this occurred is "prime area" for sink holes" (kinda like tornado alley is prime for tornados).

Such a sad situation. I feel horrible for that family!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM
That literally hits close to home. I'm from the area. Sinkholes are nasty business. Very very common. I just feel awful for that man. :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The area where I grew up in PA is full of limestones deposits which apparently makes for a lot of sinkholes.  .  I can think of one street in my town that has been closed more than open due to a sinkhole for almost 30 years now, and two houses that have had to be relocated due to sinkholes. 

My dad was a farm kid and he told me about losing a cow to sinkhole once.  The more it struggled as they tried to pull it out the further into the hole it went.

Still, losing a family member to a sinkhole is sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I'm from Michigan and hardly ever hear of sinkholes. I didn't realize they were common around here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I haven't heard about any sinkholes in Florida but there are quite a few within a 15 mile radius of my house. Very common around here in Michigan.
EvaTheDiva29
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

im scared about my house im renting. its sinking. and fairly quickly. im waiting for the rainy season when everything is welted and everything underground is soaked. my dining room is going to be gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)