Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No. I will not watch your kid while he is sick. (vent long!)

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 23 Replies
I started babysitting for a former neighbor about a month ago. And since then I basically have been raising her kid. Our agreement started out that she would pay me $15/day. That was for the hours of 4pm to 10 pm and $20/day for her ling shifts of 4pm to 12 am and overnights were $25. Well she is a waitress and was having a hard time paying that so we agreed on $75 a week, I was trying to be nice, but reasonable enough that I would at least make something for my time. Not to mention I have three kids of my own, the little boy is still in pull ups at almost 4yo and I have to feed him. She buys a few groceries for my house when she gets her fs. Its always an excuse as to why she can't pay me. I have been paid $40 in two weeks! When we agreed in $75/ week she said she could handle that no problem. She gets paid every two weeks and her hourly wage is 2.83 an hour and she was working at least 30 hours a week. She gets paid every two weeks and should have at least been able to manage paying me. Its always something. They messed up her pay...he car broke down...whatever. so she found a new waitressing job where she is the only waitress at the restaurant and they gave her better hours and more hourly pay. She started this past Thursday. She was to get paid from her other job on Friday and pay me. She knew I needed that money. I kept her ds overnight as usual ( the overnights are an all the time thing, she never picks him up after work because she doesn't want to wake him, or because she got asked to stay until 2 am or whatever amount of time). She was to come pick him up yesterday and pay me. I have even been nice and told her not to worry about her overdue balance and concentrate on the weekly pay until she gets her taxes back. Out of her taxes she was going to pay the overdue amount plus a few weeks ahead. Well. She didn't pick Jim up. Her mom did. I asked if she had sent my money along and the mom looked confused. The grandmother informed.me she would bring the boy back around 5pm and I immediately texted the girl and asked her when she was coming to pay me. Her car broke down and almost caught on fire due to her alternator (bull). OK. Then she texts me a little later telling me that her son is sick and vomiting and asked if her mom could bring him back to me. Uhhh... No. I can't afford for my.kids to get sick. They have missed a lot of school already dye to deaths in the family and their own illnesses. They now need Dr. Excuses to miss school. Do my answer was no. Not to mention the fact that she is $215 in the hole with me now. She was upset because she would have to call off work on her third day, but she should always have a backup plan (and I've told her this) in case I can't watch him. Then she wanted to know if I could go to her house and watch him this morning at 7 am And leave my kids home with dh. On his only day off. I told her I had to check with him. But the answer was no. So last night I tried texting her to tell her that as long as he was not 1. Running a fever and 2. No longer vomiting then she could bring him here this morning. No answer. I texted again this morning. No answer. And if she's gonna throw a hussy fit because I took my kids health into consideration she can find another sitter. I take good care of her son and I do it for pennies an hour. If she would pay me on time I would be more apt to keep her son. Am I wrong?!?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

No, you need to tell her she's got to pay you for what she owes you, and find someone else to take advantage of.  

Allie428
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I would quit watching her kid and I would send her a bill via certified mail.... give her a pay date and if she doesn't pay, I would file a small claims case.  Here in MI, it is only twenty five bucks to file and it can be added into the amount you are filing for.

DEJavu17
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I don't like being mean, but she hasn't made an effort to pay me in two weeks! She is a single mom I get it. And her family refuses to help her, but $75 a week is cheap for a sitter. And for the hours I have him she's basically getting a bargain. I love the little boy to death. He's an awesome kid, but I need paid. I don't work for free. I can't believe I even started watching him, because I got out of working in daycare after I had my youngest. I realized I just don't like other peoples kids. Doing this allows me to stay home with my youngest during his last year before kindergarten and she's screwing me. If she doesn't answer me soon I'm heading to her house.

Quoting Melissa_4:

No, you need to tell her she's got to pay you for what she owes you, and find someone else to take advantage of.  

DEJavu17
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Dh said I'm done watching him til I get paid, because he's tired of seeing me work so hard during the days and I don't get paid. I just feel bad because her son has gotten into our routine, and he has behavior and emotional issues as it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would quit watching her kid and I would send her a bill via certified mail.... give her a pay date and if she doesn't pay, I would file a small claims case.  Here in MI, it is only twenty five bucks to file and it can be added into the amount you are filing for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I watch a little boy for $75 a week. M-f 8-3
He is pretty easy to watch and i am able to be with my children but i plan on applying for jobs i july for a school job
I would be angry if i didnt get pd

Quoting DEJavu17:

I don't like being mean, but she hasn't made an effort to pay me in two weeks! She is a single mom I get it. And her family refuses to help her, but $75 a week is cheap for a sitter. And for the hours I have him she's basically getting a bargain. I love the little boy to death. He's an awesome kid, but I need paid. I don't work for free. I can't believe I even started watching him, because I got out of working in daycare after I had my youngest. I realized I just don't like other peoples kids. Doing this allows me to stay home with my youngest during his last year before kindergarten and she's screwing me. If she doesn't answer me soon I'm heading to her house.

Quoting Melissa_4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Not wrong at all. Regardless of the fact that she hasn't paid, which is a good enough reason for me, you need to think about your children too. She's certainly not gonna pay for a dr or help take care if them if they get sick.
chane_L
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

your so called friend respects you so much that she thinks your time is only worth pennies if not fraction of pennies an hour. That's to take care of her most valuable gift ever. Sounds like a seriously toxic friend

DEJavu17
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Or the fine I will get if I can't get a drs. Excuse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not wrong at all. Regardless of the fact that she hasn't paid, which is a good enough reason for me, you need to think about your children too. She's certainly not gonna pay for a dr or help take care if them if they get sick.
SandyLaxner
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DEJavu17:

Quoting Melissa_4:

You are REALY gettin taken advantage of. You are way to involved as friends/emotioally,and she,like many people,will try to get everything out of a nice person that they can. You are no responsible for her being a singe Mom,cnnot pay you,whatever. You work for her yougetpaid,period. I'd love o know where you live-in IL,I pay my sitters 10-12$ an HOUR! If you really like to babysit,register w/re.com or sittercitycom. That is where I have hired sitters from,and you can charge a reasonable rate
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN