Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tell me how to lower my grocery bill!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

Most of the time I have 2 adults, age 49 (me) and 54 (dh), and two kids, 18 (ds) and 10 (dd) to feed.

Tell me what to feed them that is nutritious, not fattening, for $120, or even lower, per week. We live in the midwest, for pricing comparisions. My son eats his lunch at school, M-F. My dh takes his lunch. Dd and I eat all our meals at home. That would be all other meals, then, for the guys. None of us are on special diets.

Websites, menus, ideas for lowering specific meals--any ideas really are welcome.

I do cook from scratch, even making our own bread, which may or may not be economical, as we do have a thrift store available.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elayna90
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Buy in bulk for things use you often and freeze the part you don't use.
Make more per meal that way there are left overs to go in the fridge.
Soups and pastas and beans and rice are cheap and great fillers with most meals and are cheap.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Gleich
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Go to local farms for fruits, vegetables, eggs, and possibly milk too! 

:-)

plan your meals, and don't buy snack foods. Which I know is hard having an 18 and 10 year old.

thats my little advice. :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Less meat

More sides when you do have meat (so you need less meat)

Breakfast variations for dinner (eggs and pancakes, eggs and waffles, eggs and yogurt parfait, hot cereal and fruit ,etc.)

Whole chickens used for two meals rather than one

Soups and casseroles to stretch smaller amounts of meat

Potatoes for the main part of dinner (baked potatoes or potato soups)

Piskie
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Well figure out how much the bread costs to make, and if you could buy it cheaper. Make lots of stuff like lasagna and freeze it when the mince is on sale.
Cheap meat cuts are awesome and delicious when done in a slow cooker, brisket done in coconut milk, with chilli and apricots is always s big hit here.
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:52 AM

bump

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Eat less proccessed
lucsch
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I normally think we don't buy processed stuff, but I do buy boxes of cereal, fiber bars, and yogurt. I guess those are processed, huh?

Quoting peaches_04:

Eat less proccessed

lucsch
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM

What are cheap meat cuts, to you?

I do usually try to wait to buy meat on sale, rather than at full price.

Quoting Piskie:

Well figure out how much the bread costs to make, and if you could buy it cheaper. Make lots of stuff like lasagna and freeze it when the mince is on sale.
Cheap meat cuts are awesome and delicious when done in a slow cooker, brisket done in coconut milk, with chilli and apricots is always s big hit here.

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Was going to say don't buy premade anything but it sounds like you already don't

Shop around, you can get a lot of stuff at discount food stores. I plan my weekly meals around the local store's weekly sales. Cupons are amazing.

Breakfast is generally cheaper then dinner, have that sometimes. And stews or casseroles because they generally need less meat to make.

I like those $10 dinner shows on food network, try these:

allrecipes.com

http://www.foodnetwork.com/ten-dollar-dinners-with-melissa-darabian/recipes/index.html

http://www.5dollardinners.com/5-dinners-top-10-recipes-from-2011/

lucsch
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I like the breakfast for dinner idea--we do that some.

It always seems to be a trade-off with meat for carbs. I am not too keen on adding more carbs to our menu, but I guess those are cheap.

When all my kids were still at home, I used to have a lot of pasta...they still tease  me about that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Less meat

More sides when you do have meat (so you need less meat)

Breakfast variations for dinner (eggs and pancakes, eggs and waffles, eggs and yogurt parfait, hot cereal and fruit ,etc.)

Whole chickens used for two meals rather than one

Soups and casseroles to stretch smaller amounts of meat

Potatoes for the main part of dinner (baked potatoes or potato soups)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN