Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What you do if your child had this deformity? Pectus Carinatum

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Pectus carinatum is were the chest bone grows larger then its ment to causing it to "stick out" and become noticable. I have it in a mild form and sadly I have passed it down to my 3 year old son. I have only just started to notice it. For me my breast hide it and it doesnt bother me but for my son, he wont have breast to cover this problem up. So far its only mild like my own, PRAY TO GOD THAT IT DOESNT GET NOTICABLE and if it does I will be having something done about it. This is what he would have to have done in around 2-4 years to correct it. In children, teenagers, and young adults who have pectus carinatum and are motivated to avoid surgery, the use of a customized chest-wall brace that applies direct pressure on the protruding area of the chest produces excellent outcomes. Willingness to wear the brace as required is essential for the success of this treatment approach. The brace works in much the same way as orthodontics (braces that correct the alignment of teeth). The brace consists of front and back compression plates that are anchored to aluminum bars. These bars are bound together by a tightening mechanism which varies from brace to brace. This device is easily hidden under clothing and must be worn from 14 to 24 hours a day. The wearing time varies with each brace manufacturer and the managing physicians protocol, which could be based on the severity of the carinatum deformity (mild moderate severe) and if it is symmetric or asymmetric. Depending on the manufacturer and/or the patient's preference, the brace may be worn on the skin or it may be worn over a body 'sock' or sleeve called a Bracemate, specifically designed to be worn under braces. A physician or orthotist or brace manufacturer's representative can show how to check to see if the brace is in correct position on the chest. Bracing is becoming more popular over surgery for pectus carinatum, mostly because it eliminates the risks that accompany surgery. The prescribing of bracing as a treatment for pectus carinatum has 'trickled down' from both paediatric and thoracic surgeons to the family physician and pediatricians again due to its lower risks and well-documented very high success results. Regular supervision during the bracing period is required for optimal results. Adjustments may be needed to the brace as the child grows and the pectus improves.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM

I heard a story about something that sound familiar to this once. At a church I was at they had a few people go on a missionary trip overseas. To the Ukraine maybe? I'm not 100% sure of the country. Anyway. One of them was praying over this boy who had a condition with the bones in his chest and he kept praying and praying and nothing happened. So finally he asked the boy if he was saved or had asked for forgiveness for certain sins or whatever and the boy said he hadn't so the guy who was praying asked him if he wanted to do that. The boy said yes and did what he had to do. Then the missionary kept praying over him (with his hand over the kids chest where the problem was) and then he said he FELT and HEARD the bones pop properly into place. The kid obviously felt it too. It was the coolest and most disgusting thing I've ever heard from a missionary.

Anyway, you'd probably only believe that if you believe in the power of prayer and miracles and all that, but yeah, there ya go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM
My husband has it, I think you call it funnel chest. I think it's the same thing only his goes in the way and can crush his heart.
Chasesmum3109
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Pectus excavatun

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband has it, I think you call it funnel chest. I think it's the same thing only his goes in the way and can crush his heart.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:18 AM
I have never heard of it, but it sounds very uncomfortable.

I guess I opt for that brace treatment
GigantaursMommy
by MrsAwesomePants on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Does that cause any pain? I looked up some google images and it looks like it may hurt. 

mattiehatter
by Mary on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Sounds painful. I don't know anyone with this condition so bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Poor kid. I'm sorry for him and for you. hopefully it does remain mild. I'd do whatever I had to for him to be comfortable. But it sounds like a rough procedure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Yes this. Thanks

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Pectus excavatun

Quoting Anonymous:

Chasesmum3109
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:26 AM
You're welcome, my neighbors son had this, he said he would put milk and cereal in it and eat from there lol!!! Idk how true it is but it's a funny idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes this. Thanks

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Pectus excavatun

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Well my husband could do this :) It's a deep hole

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

You're welcome, my neighbors son had this, he said he would put milk and cereal in it and eat from there lol!!! Idk how true it is but it's a funny idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes this. Thanks

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Pectus excavatun

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN