Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do people thank god, etc...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 282 Replies
3 moms liked this

I was raised in a catholic family, but do not practice that or any religion anymore.  I don't understand why people "thank" god for saving them from an accident, illness,etc when so many others were NOT saved  No one saved my baby from being stilborn or my mom when she died of cancer.  When my dh was abusing me, there was no relief there either.  I am having a really hard time with my dd, and prayers are not helping as well.  I am just tired of people praying to a god who seems to pick and choose who has relief and who has to suffer.  It never made any sense to me AT ALL and I will never understand it.  I read this crap all the time, especially on FB, praying etc.  If it is not meant to be, it will not be.  In other words, you still die anyway.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM
13 moms liked this

I was raised Catholic and just recently went back to the church.  I do thank God for all my blessings.  I truly believe he is real. 

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM
19 moms liked this
I'm thankful for what *I* have. I won't stop doing that because others have less, I'm not selfish and insecure enough to tell those who have more to stop doing it also because I don't have what they do.
I believe G-d gives me exactly what I need, both my blessings and my setbacks.
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM
52 moms liked this
God never said life was going to be easy. He didn't save my baby. He didn't keep my ex from abusing me. He didn't keep my moms bffs husband from molesting me for 10+ years. Life doesn't work like that. We are to be thankful for what we have. Not blame him for what we don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM
7 moms liked this
When my mother went through AA she hated the religion piece. Everyone praying to god and thanking god for helping them. It was nothing against religion, she just said "it's sad to me that they don't give themselves the credit for their own strength and determination."
sahmamax2
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM
4 moms liked this

People need to feel special, or "chosen". They fail to realize how arrogant that can sound.

Acid
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM
6 moms liked this

That might be the best answer I've read in a long time.

There is no guy in the sky helping you through your problems.  It's you.  You help yourself through trials and tribulations by realizing how strong and determined you are.

I am equally saddened that people give a false God credit.

Quoting Anonymous:

When my mother went through AA she hated the religion piece. Everyone praying to god and thanking god for helping them. It was nothing against religion, she just said "it's sad to me that they don't give themselves the credit for their own strength and determination."

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

vamosalaplaya
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM
14 moms liked this

So you don't believe in God and have decided nobody else should either?

We live in a fallen world and nowhere does God promise to seal us away from all the hardships of life.

I am truly sorry for all your suffering and hope you come to some sort of peace with it. It's hard, I know.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to thank God when I win a Grammy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunshineBird
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Yes, this exactly! It's a way to place responsibility elsewhere and it also steals your own strength away by giving god credit for the positive in your life. 

Life is what it is. No one is exempt.

Quoting Anonymous:

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM
7 moms liked this
Quoting vamosalaplaya:

So you don't believe in God and have decided nobody else should either?.

And yet, those of us who are humble enough to acknowledge G-d, to realize that we're not the omnipotent ones, who are thankful for what we do have are the "arrogant" ones....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured