Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do I have to hire someone after birth?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies
1 mom liked this
It seems like everyone in my birth group is either having family come stay for a few weeks after birth, or actually hiring someone to do it. They are all acting like they will need all of this extra help and how will I manage if I dont have anyone. Maybe I am missing something, but I didnt have anyone to help with my first (other than dh) and am not planning on having anyone come help with this one either.

I am planning on having my ds stay the night with grandma the night our daughter is born, but other than that, I dont feel like I need help. In fact, the thought of someone staying with me for weeks annoys me lol I know it is going to be an adjustment going from 1 child to 2, but I figure I have to learn sometime, why would I hire someone to prolong the inevitable.

Am I the crazy one here, do you think I will NEED someone after birth, or does that seem extreme to you too? Did you have someone stay with you to help with your newborn?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Bump
KME3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I didn't need help. With my first child I was alone and my second I had my bf to help... It was easy to me...maybe they had complications or a c section? family I understand but to go as far to hire someone when you're perfectly capable is a waste of money...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM

No LOL. Why would you HAVE to? 

I was alone with my 2 kids from the get-go. My oldest was 15 months. So I was home alone with a 15 month old and newborn. It's difficult, but not impossible.

It'll be the same with this baby too. My kids are 4 and will be 3 when the baby is born. I'll be alone from the day we come home from the hospital.

CafeMom Tickers
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM
No. My dh had 6weeks off after our third tho. That was nice
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Nope, I usually want NOONE around after giving birth. Just me, DH and our kids.
kngarber
by Katie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
No you do not NEED someone.
mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I feel the same way you do. With my first I was really worried about being so far from family with juts DH and I, but it was so relaxing to do our own thing and bond with the baby on our own. I didn't have to worry about putting a shirt on or being awake if I didn't want to. I could walk around in my nursing bra and DH and I could just do our own thing and get into the swing of things. I am REALLY looking forward to it with this one too. 

AleaKat
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I had family come in to visit and they helped out with little things here and there but they weren't detrimental to me or my family.
I know I needed a bit more help with my first Thant second cause I had a 3 rd degree episiotomy and it was hard to get around and stuff and hubby had to work.

I'd never hire anybody.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I have a dh, so I feel like he should be all the help I need. We are still a couple months away from birth, so these women are just planning it with the assumption of a healthy no complication birth. I can totally see hiring someone if there were severe complications, but in general I just cant see the need.

Quoting KME3:

I didn't need help. With my first child I was alone and my second I had my bf to help... It was easy to me...maybe they had complications or a c section? family I understand but to go as far to hire someone when you're perfectly capable is a waste of money...

scoleman828
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I didn't even have someone stay with us after having twins. Lol dh was in school and at work, my oldest was in kindergarten, and I was home with them. Yes, it is an adjustment but, no I do not believe it is necessary to have outside help. The only exception is that my mom would come 2 nights a week after work to help me bathe them. Sometimes she's stay till bedtime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)