Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you let your kids play out unsupervised?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 388 Replies
My two have just got in from school and now want to play on front with the other kids. I have said no :( I feel bad but they are 6 and 4 and the other kids parents don't seem to mind where their kids are playing. What age do you think is appropriate for them to play out and go off on their own?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tennisgal
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

last summer my 6yo and 5yo played outside by themselves. there aren't any other kids in the neighborhood though so they aren't running around the neighborhood. I'm in and out and our whole first floor is windows so i felt okay letting them do so. 

RedSoxWife
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Nope, I won't even let them play in the fenced in backyard by themselves. I'm just a paranoid mom I guess. In the front yard is also a big no, because we live on a very busy street. My boys are 7 & 2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

yep, he has played in our yard alone since he was 4

romalove
by SakePrincess on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
9 moms liked this

Paranoia will destroy ya

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Yep. In our backyard. Him and Conrad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I don't let my 4 year old play outside alone yet. I live in a very safe neighborhood, but you still never know... I don't really think there's an age to it. It's whenever you feel comfortable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CarlyK23
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I did when we lived in the country and it was safe.

needsupport100
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
3 moms liked this

paranoia will make your kids rebel against you later.

if you're worried about how the other kids and parents are, take 20 min from your time to meet the children and the parents

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I use to let my 5 year old and 2 year old play outside alone but we had a fenced in back yard & I could see them. RIght now we live near a river so I won't. It is fenced in but the one gate has a huge gap (its on the landlords side so he won't fix it) so i wont risk. We are moving out this month (again) so i will have to see how it is where we move.

Megara
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Yes.  They both play in our fenced-in backyard alone, or DD (5) can play out front alone if there are other kids playing.  We live on a circle with no through traffic, so in the afternoon I have no problem with her playing in the circle with the other neighborhood kids.

Edit:  Sometimes I take DS out on his tricycle when all the kids are out playing, so I have met most of them.  They know I am Katherine's mommy and that I am always home.  A lot of them are latch-key kids who watch themselves or are watched by older siblings.  I have also met a couple of mothers on the weekends and they let their girls come in my house after school to play dress-up.  I want my kids to be independent, but I also want them to know they can always bring their friends over.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)