Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This is about gays and being in a committed relationship

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 626 Replies

Poll

Question: How would you feel if you were in this situation?

Options:

I would be against him/her being gay but not against him/her being in a committed relationship

I would be ok with him/her being gay but against him/her being in a committed relationship

I would be ok with him/her being gay and being in a committed relationship.

Other (albeit I don't know why I'm giving this as an option because I think it covered it all)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2296

View Results

If your teenage (between the ages of 14-17) daughter/son confessed to you that they were gay and that they were dating someone who they plan on marrying after that graduate high school or college, how would you feel about it?

Which would bother you more: that they are gay or all ready committed to someone at such a young age?

I wouldn't care if my son told me he was gay but what I would care about is him being in a committed relationship at such a young age. I don't believe that teens should be serious with anyone until they at least graduate high or college.

What if they get tied down at such an early age and then regret it years later?

Not alot of high school sweethearts stay married after a certain amount of time. They grow apart and realize that they aren't happy with each other anymore.

What if they are tied down to someone and there is someone better for them out there in the world?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christyg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM
64 moms liked this

I got married 3 months after my 18th birthday ... 25 years ago. I think young relationships CAN work. In fact, I think they tend to work better if both parties are mature enough. 

momaof8
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM
7 moms liked this

I met my hubby at 16  that was 28  years ago

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM
61 moms liked this

eh, just because they say they are getting married after high school doesn't mean they actually will, I wouldn't freak out about it

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this

I congratulate you on your marriage. 

I agree with what you said about both parties being mature enough. 

Problem is, not alot of teens are mature enough to stay committed. 

That's why the rate on teen marriage is so low, i believe.

Quoting christyg:

I got married 3 months after my 18th birthday ... 25 years ago. I think young relationships CAN work. In fact, I think they tend to work better if both parties are mature enough. 

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM
23 moms liked this

I'd never condone a marriage right after HS, no matter my child's sexual orientation.

IndigoRose
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't think that people should get married so young, but that's just my opinion.  Being gay is just another lifestyle.  Some of the nicest people I've ever known were gay.  I especially miss having gay friends right now...  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM

not my kids, lol

they are 8 years and 8 months.

It's a friend of mine and her 15 year old daughter. 

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

eh, just because they say they are getting married after high school doesn't mean they actually will, I wouldn't freak out about it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
6 moms liked this

I have no problem with a child being in a committed relationship at a young age, no matter if it's with a man or a woman, provided the child is capable of handling a committed relationship at a young age. Obviously I chose other. 

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
13 moms liked this
I wouldn't have an issue with them being gay OR being in a committed relationship.
I would have an issue with them being in a committed relationship and me never having met this person.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

wouldn't that be the 3rd one then?

not other?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no problem with a child being in a committed relationship at a young age, no matter if it's with a man or a woman, provided the child is capable of handling a committed relationship at a young age. Obviously I chose other. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)