Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This is about gays and being in a committed relationship

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How would you feel if you were in this situation?

Options:

I would be against him/her being gay but not against him/her being in a committed relationship

I would be ok with him/her being gay but against him/her being in a committed relationship

I would be ok with him/her being gay and being in a committed relationship.

Other (albeit I don't know why I'm giving this as an option because I think it covered it all)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2296

View Results

If your teenage (between the ages of 14-17) daughter/son confessed to you that they were gay and that they were dating someone who they plan on marrying after that graduate high school or college, how would you feel about it?

Which would bother you more: that they are gay or all ready committed to someone at such a young age?

I wouldn't care if my son told me he was gay but what I would care about is him being in a committed relationship at such a young age. I don't believe that teens should be serious with anyone until they at least graduate high or college.

What if they get tied down at such an early age and then regret it years later?

Not alot of high school sweethearts stay married after a certain amount of time. They grow apart and realize that they aren't happy with each other anymore.

What if they are tied down to someone and there is someone better for them out there in the world?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (621-626):
kstchr
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath that this committed relationship would last like they say it will, especially if they're only 15 or so. (Teens of this age also tend to think that "40 is OLD"--their perceptions can be a little off!)  I think I would tell my kids to take their time and keep an open mind, that if it's meant to be, it will be--no need to rush!

csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM

No, I would not be against them being gay.  No, I would not be against them being in a committed relationship, but I would be against them talking about marriage after high school graduation.  I would feel the same way whether they were gay or straight.  I do not think my kids should be married as a teenager. 

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:02 AM

OP, I agree with you 100%. 

I really don't care if my son is into men, women, both or neither. What I want for my son is to be happy with whomever he chooses.

However, I would be concerned about him being ready to commit when so young. I would suggest to him and his partner that I think they should wait a few more years before deciding to formally commit to each other. That being said, if they decided to marry regardless, I would smile, hug them both and be the happiest mother of the groom ever.

GaleJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Maturity and a commitment are more important than age when deciding to marry. My husband and I married right out of high school and are married for over forty years now. As to being gay I would have no problem with that at all.
gothicelf
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Yes I did say my daughter is bi... She is actually gay... She likes guys but prefers girls... There is nothing wrong with that.. It has been a long time now and she is still in what seems to be a great relationship with the same girl and she is going to be 16 soon... She has a 3.75 GPA, Plays the violin, is on a couple sports teams, goes to movies, hangs at the mall, has a ton of friends and loves school. She doesn't spend every waking hour pawning over her gf,  she wants to study and be a Marine Biologist, she spends time volunteering at the local animal shelters, Aquariums, etc and seems to be having a very fun "childhood"... She is happy and so I am happy for her... She does not in anyway live a so called "soap opera life"... I am happy that I am an open mined, out of the box type person... All of my children are well disciplined, well structured, respectful and know there is a time and place for things... I am not going to tell my children that it is bad to be LGBT... I will express my doubts if they want to marry out of HS... But part of life & natural selection is to live and learn.. Some just need more teaching than others... 

There will always be someone who disagrees with the way I choose to parent my children... You see that is ok.. NO ONE has to like the way I choose to be.. But you know what... I have 4 children in all, one has already graduated from college with a business degree and already has a start up, one that will have obtained her Associates in Science before she graduates HS this year (her goal a Doctorates in Forensic Anthropology), My almost 16 year old whom as I said before whats to be a Marine Biologist, Then there is my 4 yr old.... He has ASD, OCD and ADHD... What does he have in store? I don't know.. But, I will be there to stand behind him and help him realize his dreams no matter what they are.. No matter if he be gay, straight, bi, unsure, in a commited relationship, no relationship, bad, good, up, down or sideways.. Because I love him and support him no matter what...

Bash away all.. I find that people quite amuse me at times... You not only have 1 childhood.. You only get one life... Live life to the fullest while you can... Be safe, respectful and remember there is a time and place for everything... 

There are a few sayings I love...

"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same"

and

"Dance as though no one was watching you, Sing as though no one can hear you & Live as though Heaven is on earth."

are a couple of my favorites.... sorry to be so long winded & so late responding... I lost 2 sets of grandparents over the last year.. First time I have checked this page in over a year... 

Quoting Ihold8Stars: Did you really just say That Your 14 YEAR OLD daughter says she's BIsexual AND has been with her Girlfriend for AWHILE now?? How longs awhile?? If your 14 year olds Bern with her GF awhile.. How does she know she's Bi? What age did she start dating? This is just crazy to me! What happen to being a freaking kid? She's to damn young to be living a soap opera life. You only get 1 childhood :(
Quoting gothicelf:

My daughter is 14 and came out that she is bi.. She has a gigrlfriend and they have been together for a long while now... If they happen to grow up and be together and get married i will be happy for them.. Right now even though they say they are going to be together and marry.. they are young and things and people change.. HOWEVER, no matter what, I stand behind my children.. The only thing that would ever bother me is if they give up their education or carreer for it... THAN I would get involved and clean things up... nothing is more important than your education and carreer.. next to your family of course.. family is always first...

Larae1990
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I've been with my hubby since 8th grade
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN