Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am so torn..what should I do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I babysit a little girl about 3 days a week. I get paid $25/day. Her mom is a single mom. She got hurt at work 3 weeks ago and they put her on light duty. I normally would watch this girl so her mom could sleep since she worked 3rds, but the light duty ended up being 1st shift. She asked me if I could watch her the 1st week and she would add that pay onto the next week since she was not going ot have a paycheck until the following week. So now I was supposed to be paid on Friday for the 2 weeks. She said her job has not gotten her pay correct because its considered disability pay and not a regular paycheck. I told her I cannot watch her until I get the back pay, since its not fair to both of us. She would be owing me way too much money to pay with just one check if I continue to watch her and the money she pays me helps offset our grocery bill and right now we have like no food in the house. I feel bad but I cannot continue to babysit for free. Here is her FB status:(

What is a single mom suppose to do I have to work I can't take my kid to the sitter because I don't know when my jobs going to get my pay figured out and I have a three yr old that can't stay home alone this sucks I just don't know what to do anymore I really wish my job would fix my pay so I don't have to stress about this.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM

BUMP!

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Ouvh
Maybe have her break the payments up?
Have her pay a little more than normal?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM

She put that status up knowing you would see it. If she gets behind its only going to be that much harder for her to catch up. Stand your ground.

Photo: -Randi.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM

DH was hurt and put on light duty and he was given his normal paycheck.  It wasn't disability.  I thought disability was when  you are not working at all.  If you can't financially wait to be paid then don't babysit.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

This is why I do not babysit. It has always ended up costing me more money in the end because I am too soft and easily taken advantage of.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

She is correct, I have worked for the same company a while back. They will pay her through workmens comp/disability until she can go back to her normal job.

Quoting WifeyC:

DH was hurt and put on light duty and he was given his normal paycheck.  It wasn't disability.  I thought disability was when  you are not working at all.  If you can't financially wait to be paid then don't babysit.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM
You're in the right.
boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

i agree

Quoting brettsmomma:

She put that status up knowing you would see it. If she gets behind its only going to be that much harder for her to catch up. Stand your ground.

JessicaEOH
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM
If she's getting back pay on her check, it should even itself out. If she's always been good about paying, I'd continue to watch her dd...it won't be good for either of you if she gets fired.
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM
You handled it very well, what you said about it not being fair your you both was very diplomatic if you.

Maybe offer her a payment plan but still give her a cut of date, if she takes it fine if not it is no longer your responsibility to worry about get employer paying her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)