Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Senior dies, nurse refused to do CPR

Posted by   + Show Post

There is no legal requirment for the nurse to have done CPR on this woman. Do you agree or disagree with the way this nurse handled this?

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/03/04/nurse-refuses-cpr-911-call

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

If they are made aware of the policy before they become a resident, then it's their choice, much like a living will or a DNR.

Bitchess
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Wow this blows my mind. Make sure to check out the facility before allowing your loved one to be housed there. I saw this on GMA this morning and I guess it's the policy of the nursing home to call 9-1-1 in an emergency and wait for help to arrive. Seems like a shitty policy IMHO. Also there was mention that this nursing home a DNR place period. Another thing that is being argued is if she had a DNR on file or not.

boo   Daisypath Anniversary tickers

KeriAZ
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Yes. If they have a DNR they wont do anything unless u want it done. Family can go against it. Otherwise the facility has to have the Orange paper with the person or easily obtained. We will work a pt until we get that paper in our hands.

Quoting rebeccab1966:

Quoting KeriAZ:

As a medical provider by law they have a duty to act within their scope of practice if they are on duty. Off duty its a moral thing. I read this and was sooooo pissed off. Why does the SNF have nurses if they are not allowed to do their job?! I hope they are sued out of business and criminal charges brought against the nurse and SNF. Shame on them.

Question for you, if you know the answer--if a senior in a facility has a Do Not Resuscitate Order on file, does this apply?  My Dad is in a nursing home with end-stage Alzheimers and I don't even know if this would apply to him.  Thanks, if you have any info.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Why wasn't it addressed if the resident had a DNR or not? The article never mentioned that rather critical piece of information.

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Quoting KeriAZ:

Yes. If they have a DNR they wont do anything unless u want it done. Family can go against it. Otherwise the facility has to have the Orange paper with the person or easily obtained. We will work a pt until we get that paper in our hands.

Quoting rebeccab1966:

Quoting KeriAZ:

As a medical provider by law they have a duty to act within their scope of practice if they are on duty. Off duty its a moral thing. I read this and was sooooo pissed off. Why does the SNF have nurses if they are not allowed to do their job?! I hope they are sued out of business and criminal charges brought against the nurse and SNF. Shame on them.

Question for you, if you know the answer--if a senior in a facility has a Do Not Resuscitate Order on file, does this apply?  My Dad is in a nursing home with end-stage Alzheimers and I don't even know if this would apply to him.  Thanks, if you have any info.

Thanks for the info.  It's just really hard, my Mom doesn't want anyone to perform CPR if my Dad has a heart attack because he truly has no quality of life, and he told everyone about a million times that he didn't want to live like this.  It's heartbreaking.

KeriAZ
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Not that I heard of. It was the screwed up policy of not doing CPR on anyone. The nurse said nothing abt a dnr. If she would have the 911 operater would have known and would have just stopped.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

She had a dnr.
bullemhead
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

What is even more shocking is the fact that the media contacted  the patients daughter who said she was "satisfied with the care her mother received". Wow.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM
She had a DNR. She would have been going against their policy to violate the DNR.
sweetoctbaby
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Wow I don't agree.  Why be a nurse if you're going to refuse CPR on someone?  Being a nurse is all about saving lives.

RelaxedMom2-3
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I would refuse to work at this facility. If it is my job to save lives, but  when needed I have to sit on the sidelines and watch someone die. No way I would agree to do that. No way I would agree to put a loved one of mine in there either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)