Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Senior dies, nurse refused to do CPR

Posted by   + Show Post

There is no legal requirment for the nurse to have done CPR on this woman. Do you agree or disagree with the way this nurse handled this?

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/03/04/nurse-refuses-cpr-911-call

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Replies (111-113):
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Exactly. I sat with my grandmother as she died in my bedroom. She was living with me so that I could take care of her (with the help of hospice) because she did not want to be in a nursing home. Her final stage of dying lasted a little over a week and I was with her at the very end. I am sure some people think that it was cruel because toward the end she could not eat and could not even swallow water out of a medicine dropper yet no IV fluids/nutrients were given. As she was actively dying, I did not call 911 or anyone else for that matter, I just sat with her and quietly talked to her. That was exactly what she wanted.

Quoting hautemama83:

I did watch a 92 year old man die. Held his hand, wiped his face, and comforted him while he passed on. Didn't even attempt CPR, nor did emts when they arrived to pronounce his TOD.

Why? He had a DNR. He wanted to die as peacefully as possible. So it was my job, and duty to ensure that's what happened.

Quoting Anonymous:

She pretty much watched the elderly woman die. How in the hell can a person do that?!

Quoting Anonymous:

They are ok with it because she had a DNR. Nothing bad or anything news worthy has happened.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not only her she said there was no one that could do it! She wouldn't allow anyone that wanted to help actually help. What's sad is that the elderly woman's family is okay with the nurses decision! I would have been furious! Seriously if you had any heart you would of done it. It was a life or death situation and she didnt care about the woman. Selfish bi**h!

moneysaver6
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I agree. The nurse absolutely should have clarified that.

Quoting MeghMirab:

I didn't read that, that changes my opinion completely. The nurse should have mentioned that on the phone call. Because the lady just kept saying "why can't you help her?" Ya know. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

Just read the article linked to in the first article. It says that the resident didn't have a DNR, but apparently agreed to no medical attention should something happen. This appears to be a gray area. She could have helped, but didn't legally have to.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LilrockerMama
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM
It's really not a matter of opinion, it's what being a nurse IS. You do what is best for the patient. I think the facility must have DNRs on all residents to be able to have that policy, so that is fine! And I'm glad the family isn't upset but they must have had a DNR. As a nurse you pledge to always put the patient first and do the right thing, no matter what.

Either way it doesn't matter, the family is happy. Im just saying, as a nurse you have to do the right thing, even if that's against the policy or whatever. I've been in crazy situations where the patient was young and could have been saved had someone stepped in and did something instead of waiting around for someone else to say Ok.

Quoting Sept-babies2:

Well that is my opinion and that is yours. Even the daughter i think it was said she was happy with the care.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

If the patient did not have a DNR the nurse should perform CPR whether risking being fired or not. As a nurse you are there for the patients, not the company or facility. Integrity.

Quoting Sept-babies2:

If she had a dnr then i do not see a problem with this. If not then still this nurse was not going to risk her job by breaking policy. Now what i don't understand is why they enforce such a policy. I have never heard of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN