Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

taking appliances from a foreclosed home?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies

Okay so before everyone starts saying how shitty of me this would be, please let me give you the back story, because we aren't shitty people.

About 6 years ago my now husband bought a town home with his ex girlfriend. A month later she decided to break up and move out. A year later she asked if she could move back in, as a roommate and pay rent (when she moved out she never payed on the mortgage). My husband agreed. Everything was fine until a few months into it, she came home and saw he had a date over (the were just on the couch, nothing sexual was happening). She freaked out, the date left, and she went off on my husband. His story goes that he stayed on the couch and she kept going coming down and going off and yelling at him. Well, he got irritated, and swiped a candle holder off the coffee table out of frustration. Well, she never came back down and a while later, he woke up to a knock at the door....it was the police. She put a PFA on him (protection from abuse) and he wasn't allowed to come back to the house. Well, the court date came and went and she decided to not show up, so all charges were dropped. She moved out of the house, but she had not been paying her rent so the mortgage got behind. My husband called the bank worked everything out and started paying on it. A while later he got into a car accident (not his fault). Workmans comp was only paying him a percentage of his base salary, I believe 60%, and that did not include his bonuses or expenses that he was getting. He was out of work from March 2010 until June of 2012, and he had two spine surgeries. I met him after his first one, and his second one was a disk replacement and some other hardware put into his back...so it wasn't just like he was being lazy, it was serious. He declared bankruptcy in November of 2011, due to the house. Also, he bought it at the height of the housing market for $180,000 and now the houses are between $130,000 -$150,000 in our neighborhood. Ours would be on the higher end, because we do have a finished basement. We contacted Bank of America a few months ago about a mortgage re-modification. We qualified becaue my husband's bankruptcy (and also his ex's) had been discharged. We filed the paperwork, but they came back with saying they would do it at the original purchase price PLUS the $25,000 that my husband was behind, they would tack that on the back end of the mortgage. Right now we do not pay rent or a mortgage here.....he has no ties to this home, since his bankruptcy has been discharged.  Basically, we are living here until we have notice to move. I do not want to be house poor. No home in our neighborhood is over 200K and I just dont' think it is a smart idea. Maybe if they said they would do it for the original purchase price, and forgive the past due...? Obviously I do not want to have to move, but that seems crazy that a bank would offer us a bad financial decision. My husband's credit has improved thanks to pre-paid credit cards and building a relationship with Navy Fed, we have a line of credit, and credit cards that are 5k and 7k, so we are making progress towards buying a home again throught them....hopefully.

Basically, all this boils down to one question. We have nice stainless steel appliances in our kitchen, and I told my mom I wanted to take them when we have to leave. I've seen foreclosed homes that are DISGUSTING! Our house just has normal wear and tear from living and having two dogs....I don't plan on putting holes in the walls or taking the doors off the cabinets when we leave....I just want the appliances, but my mom said that the bank will go after and sue you if you take them...IS THIS TRUE?! Sorry for the long back story, but I just know there are going to be women who say my husband is lazy or that he deserved the PFA that got put on him, so to you cunts FUCK YOU. And thanks to any ladies who have any answers to my qustion. We definitely do not need a lawsuit coming since we will be trying to purchase a new home. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I've seen foreclosed properties before and they've taken everything, even the light bulbs! I don't know what's required legally however.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Well it will screw you in the end.

Those appliances raise the value of the home so the bank can get more money out of it meaning less you will eventually owe them.

Lets say you owe 200,000 and the bank forecloses on the house and because you took the appliances out they have to lower the price and they are already taking a hit so the house sells for 100,000...you're still on the hook for the remaining 100,000
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I have seen people basically gut their foreclosed houses as well... but I agree that you shouldn't

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe that legally you can only take any appliance that is not built in. So that usually means only the refrigerator.

momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

When we bought our house there wasn't a single light bulb in it but they left the stove & dishwasher. Ours was actually in really good shape for a foreclosure. Our next door neighbors lost theirs & they were selling their appliances to try to get enough money to pay the mortgage before they had to move.  

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

I've seen foreclosed properties before and they've taken everything, even the light bulbs! I don't know what's required legally however.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take mine... after all I bought and paid for them all with cash and have reciepts to prove.
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM
It's crazy, I've heard of people smashing their house too.

Quoting momma-flynn:

When we bought our house there wasn't a single light bulb in it but they left the stove & dishwasher. Ours was actually in really good shape for a foreclosure. Our next door neighbors lost theirs & they were selling their appliances to try to get enough money to pay the mortgage before they had to move.  

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshuasMommii
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I don't know legally whats ok but i have seen circuit breakers gone water heaters sinks all lights and carpet I have never seen a foreclosure with appliances in it other than the dishwasher
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ktwister
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

You can take appliances.

The hot water heater, furnance, a/c unit are considered to be affixed to the property and they may add those to the judgement amount. 

marilyn623
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM
You can take them. Only before its fully foreclosed right now its still your house you can do whatever to it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)