Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think it's unfair these miners got fired for their "Harlem Shake" video?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 101 Replies

‘Harlem Shake’ Fad Gets Workers Fired in Most Regrettable Version Yet (VIDEO)

Harlem Shake Australian minersIf you've somehow managed to insulate yourself from the "Harlem Shake" video fad, I'm sorry, but you WILL be assimilated. Resistance is futile. With 4,000 different clips of people taking on the dance being uploaded to the Internet daily, it's only a matter of time before you too find yourself watching a bunch of costumed people dancing like fools. Or perhaps you'll be motivated to join the crowds and make your own video -- but if you do so, consider the cautionary tale of these Australian miners, who Harlem Shook their way into unemployment.

It's clear there's increasing competition for coming up with outrageous environments in which to capture video, since just days ago there was an FAA investigation over passengers on a Frontier Airlines flight doing the "Harlem Shake." But are YouTube views worth losing your job? I'm guessing the ex-employees of this Aussie mining company would love a do-over on joining the craze.

Australian mining company Barminco has fired several workers -- up to 15, according to reports -- for uploading the following video of a crew doing the "Harlem Shake" at the Agnew gold mine:

On the surface it just looks like a group of guys having a little fun on the job, but in the workers' dismissal letter, Barminco said that the men violated the company's "core values of safety, integrity, and excellence."

I have no idea how true that is, but when your job requires you to wear safety gear, you maybe should think twice about publishing a video of people goofing around shirtless? Anyway, the end result has to be a giant bummer for these guys, because these are relatively high-paying mining jobs and management has now banned the men from working at all Barminco sites around the world for life.

I think the "Harlem Shake" videos are usually pretty funny, but the nature of people attempting to top each other's online shenanigans makes me wonder what we'll see next. Surgeons and nurses Harlem Shaking around a peeled-open patient? Air traffic controllers dancing around a tower as planes -- jammed with costumed, Shaking passengers -- careen out of the sky? I say it's time to go ahead and file this video fad in the pop culture archives, because the "Harlem Shark" has officially been jumped.

Do you think it's unfair these miners got fired for their "Harlem Shake" video?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM
3 moms liked this

That was very unsafe of them. I mean, common sense people! You need that safety equipment for a reason! Keep it on! You're much better off being safe than sorry.

Though, banning them from all Barminco worldwide? That might be a bit much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Safety gear is required for a reason. If this was their first offense maybe being fired was a bit much. Couldn't they have been put on a suspension without pay? If they have repeatedly caused issues, then I could see this being the final straw.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM
6 moms liked this

That's hot lol.

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Wow. Though they probably could have had foresight and talked to supervisors about what was within reason for 'having a little fun'.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM
7 moms liked this

Mining is  high-paid job because it's that fucking dangerous. These men were stupid and put not only their lives, but the lives of everyone in and around those mines in danger. They deserved to get fired and banned from working that industry again. I get that they wanted to goof, but that's not at all an okay place to do it.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Pink.Sunshine
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I'm still wondering why they brought this 20 yr old dance back, or if it's new, why they used the same name. They violated safety practices.

Mama_Dolly
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Has anyone seen the marine call me maybe video
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Very unsafe. They put their own lives and that of their coworkers at risk goofing off on the job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

no, I don't think they should have gotten fired. 

bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I think that they still would have had their jobs if they would have just kept their clothes and safety gear on...and the video would have been just as funny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured