Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

a question for Christians

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How do you believe in God's will, yet utilize modern medicine? Isn't that a contradiction of sorts, akin to trying to undo or overrule God's will?

I am NOT trying to be rude or disrespectful with this question or pit Atheists and Christians against each other. I hate how people assume that's your agenda if you ask a simple question!

This question was prompted from a book I am reading about a lady who grew up in a Scientology family.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I did not state others' beliefs bother me. I was actually reading a book about a lady's life in a Scientologist family, and was curious about this theory.

Quoting banana-bear:

I don't understand why what other people believe bothers you. You should learn to let it go.

banana-bear
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Mission accomplished! You are SO coming off as tolerant, let me tell ya.

Quoting Anonymous:

As opposed to proving the myth that non-believers are intolerant assholes to be true?

Quoting Sekirei:

o.O

even I understand this one and I am not christian...quit making non christians look stupid please

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I don't think so. But, I don't believe in God's will. I believe that God gave us all free will, it is up to us what we do with it. We have adapted, learned, created medicines and treatments. I don't believe God picks and chooses who is sick. It just happens, and we use the knowledge we have to make people better. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

um....is this a real question???

No, it's not a contradiction.... God allowed someone the intelligence to invent these things.... and as long as they are being used as indicated and legal...then it is totally fine to utilize modern medicine.

I typically don't use medication, but I am not against it for religious reasons

superwoman8977
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

God provides the medical technology, otherwise I wouldnt be here today and would have died of cancer 10 yrs ago...

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't think so.  I explained in the other response that people are put in our path for a reason.  

If I were choking on something, would it be God's will for me to die right there, when I could be saved, or would it be God's will for someone to come to my rescue and give me the Heimlich?

Quoting Anonymous:

It may be.

I hear Christians say all the time, especially when a child dies, that it was God's will. If it was God's will that the child died, aren't you basically going against his will by utilizing modern medicine to try to save them?

Quoting jillbailey26:

How do you know modern medicine isn't part of God's will?  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
You missed my pot meet kettle point.

Quoting banana-bear:

Quoting Anonymous:

As opposed to proving the myth that non-believers are intolerant assholes to be true?

Quoting Sekirei:

o.O

even I understand this one and I am not christian...quit making non christians look stupid please

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
You missed my pot meet kettle point.

Quoting banana-bear:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sekirei:

o.O

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
God made the doctors, God made the people that made modern medicine, God put these people on earth for a reason.
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Sure! :)

Quoting momto2boys973:

Would you accept Jewish answers?

OK. G-d didn't make us to sit in our butts all day waiting to be catered on. He made us PARTNERS in His Creation. It's our task to take what He created and perfect it and embellish it. The 2 more important blessings over food in Judaism, for example, are the one for bread and the one for wine- 2 food items that require our intervention to be perfected. G-d could've created bread trees and wine plants, but He didn't. He created wheat and grapes and WE have task to kame them better. 

G-d also gave us an intellect, the capacity to analyze, learn understand the Universe (to a certain extent) and to create. He expects us to use that intellect for our benefit. There are, of course, ways to use our intellect in positive and negative ways, we're supposed to use it in a positive manner. G-d also told us to protect our lives to any extent. In Jewish law, you can actually break ANY commandment (except for 3) to save your life. Because it's you rmost precious gift. So if by having the knowledge that certai nsubstance or procedure will save your life, you aren't only allowed, you are obligated to do so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)