Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is the doctor right, or do I trust mommy-gut...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

My son has autism and is non-communicative.  I would not say non-verbal, because he is able to speak.  Yesterday, he was on his Razor Scooter (not eletrict), and hit a curb and fell off.  He was cut, really cried hard (he has a high pain tolerance), but we didn't think much of it, because we could see no visible injuries other than a small scrap on his left knee.  This morning, he woke up and cannot walk without assistance.  His right knee is very swollen and he has a huge dark purple bruise just below it.  Because he has a high pain tolerance and is mostly non-communicative, I took him to the ER.  They did an X-Ray.  He does not have any broken bones, and I was told it was a bruise and to go home.  Give him Ibprofin and come back if it still hurts.  I'm really concerned, because he is not putting any weight on his leg.  He is also holding turning his knee inward when he stands and when he walks.  And several times during the day, his knee would just give out and he would just fall down.  He is 9 years old.  He is normally hyper active, but now he is just laying around.  He normally doesn't tantrum, but he is tantrumming a lot now.  I don't know what to do.  The doctor made me feel like I was over-reacting, but the way he is walking is not normal.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM
A hard impact might have caused him to tear something?? When I tore my pcl they asked if I had hit my knee straight on something like a glove box in a auto accident??
mamahoney400
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Always trust your mommy-instinct!   I would take him to another doctor.

thecoffeefairy
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Take him back ASAP.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
He needs an MRI to determine any tendon or ligament tears. When I tore my ACL and meniscus my knee was turning in.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I broke my ankle but for some reason it didn't show up on the X-rays. 6 weeks later my mom took me back to the doctor and they ran new X-rays and saw TWO breaks.

So yes I'd get a second opinion. You know your son better than any doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Go back ask for an mri. That could tell if something is torn. Xrays can only see broken bones
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I think I'd take him back, he may have torn something or pushed the fluid out of knee cap. Poor baby.
LadyIQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

A knee injury is super painful, but usually it heals itself. The x ray would have shown if there was muscle damage. I say do the RICE....Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  Also the ibuprofen needs time to get into his system.  Give it a couple of days. 

My daughter bumps, falls, collides, trips constantly so we have a lot of experience with knee and ankle injuries.

Good luck.  

DarksMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Go back and INSIST they do an MRI on the knee.

MezzoDragon
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Also might want to see his regular Dr instead of the one at the ER who would not have prior experience with this special-needs case.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)