The title says it.
We had a dinner party with multiple appetizers, one of them were scallops wrapped in asparagus. Everyone knew what they were because they were labeled with a card. One of our guests is allergic to shellfish, we knew this and they knew there would be shellfish at the party. He only has a reaction if he ingests the food and we were careful to avoid cross contamination. I guess they didn't realize scallops were a shellfish, I saw no reason to tell him such because the scallops were IN the shell for presentation purposes and I honestly thought he was smart enough or educated enough about his allergy to know so I didn't think I needed to tell him. I guess he wasn't. He did not carry an epi pen on him so we had to call 911 and take him to the hospital, he doesn't have insurance so he is suing us for the costs of his medical care.
Our lawyer said it's unlikely he will win but the friendship is over. We can afford to pay his medical bills and will if it comes to it but I find it horribly tacky that he would sue.