Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sushi while pregnant??

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:21 AM
  • 22 Replies
Do you think It's okay to have salmon/Tuna sushi while pregnant??

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM

NO it is not ok....raw fish is not ok.....

mattiehatter
by Mary on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had two doctors say as long as it's cooked and I'm not eating it for every single meal it was fine.

unspecified42
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Yep. In moderation from a place you trust. I ate sushi my whole pregnancy and will again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HyrulianHeroine
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:26 AM
This is what I was told. I have the same mindset.

Quoting unspecified42:

Yep. In moderation from a place you trust. I ate sushi my whole pregnancy and will again.
TTC2Long
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:27 AM
I wouldn't - raw fish because of the increased risk of food poisoning (during pregnancy your immune system is supressed) and especially raw tuna because of the mercury. That stuff is toxic and bioaccumulates not just in you but in your baby. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sushi, especially tuna, I just won't knowingly expose my baby to unnecessary toxins. There are enough toxins already out there - no need to add to it!

We had sushi and teppan on date night last week and I got a cooked roll, no tuna. It was HEAVEN, and no guilt!
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this
My doctors said its fine, including the raw stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:27 AM

I didn't and it was the hardest thing to give up for me lol.  My thoughts were that if listeria could grow on lunch meat that was cooked it could grow on raw seafood.  But I lost a baby because of listeria infection so I was extremely cautious.  

HyrulianHeroine
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:29 AM
This is what they tell me, they said even if raw as long as the rolls are small I could have small servings.

He said the bacteria that is passed yes it can make you sick because of a weekend system but its very slim chance to none so just go small portions

Quoting mattiehatter:

I've had two doctors say as long as it's cooked and I'm not eating it for every single meal it was fine.

SissyAnn141
" I AM PROUD, TO BE A CHRISTIAN AMERICAN.......
Yesterday at 3:13 AM
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TTC2Long:

I wouldn't - raw fish because of the increased risk of food poisoning (during pregnancy your immune system is supressed) and especially raw tuna because of the mercury. That stuff is toxic and bioaccumulates not just in you but in your baby. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sushi, especially tuna, I just won't knowingly expose my baby to unnecessary toxins. There are enough toxins already out there - no need to add to it!

We had sushi and teppan on date night last week and I got a cooked roll, no tuna. It was HEAVEN, and no guilt!

Better to be  SAFE, then SICK, and SORRY~~~~~~~

bi-polarmommy
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:30 AM
2 moms liked this

i don't think you're supposed to eat sushi while preggers

but, then again, you're not supposed to eat raw cookie dough EVER, either

so, as long as you know its safe, enjoy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)