Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My normally well behaved son...

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 22 Replies
Has been home from school for the past 2 days sick with a stomach bug. He's usually my one kid I can count on to be sweet, polite, mature and generally well behaved. I don't know what's come over him, but apparently being sick makes him turn into a royal brat. He's been laying on the couch since yesterday morning ordering me around like his little servant. I've told him over and over again that I don't mind doing stuff for him because he sick and I love him, but that if he snaps or whistles at me to come cater to him one more time I'm going to wring his neck. Does anybody else have a kid whose personality takes a turn for the worse when they're sick?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM
How does daddy act when sick?
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

So you keep telling him not to do that, but you also keep responding to it?  Sick or not, you gotta lay down the discipline!  If he snaps or whistles, turn and say "I will not respond to that" and keep right on walking.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Like a baby. He certainly doesn't treat me like a servant, but he can make a mountain out of a molehill if you kwim.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

oh, so he's like any other man with a cold. LOL

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Like a baby. He certainly doesn't treat me like a servant, but he can make a mountain out of a molehill if you kwim.

Quoting Anonymous:

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Oh, no. I respond to it by telling him that when he can ask nicely I'll be glad to help him out at which point he reluctantly asks nicely. Problem is, 5 minutes later he's back at it again.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

So you keep telling him not to do that, but you also keep responding to it?  Sick or not, you gotta lay down the discipline!  If he snaps or whistles, turn and say "I will not respond to that" and keep right on walking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I ignore my dd when she acts entitled. When she asks politely I respond but she's usually quiet when sick. She'll call me for hugs and cuddles more than anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Yup. Pretty much lol.

Quoting VannaMae307:

oh, so he's like any other man with a cold. LOL

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I think you need to stop responding to it AT ALL then.  No more telling him to ask nice.  Basically, even when you are standing there telling him to ask nice, you have responded and he is getting attention, kwim?  Maybe the next step is to literally ignore him until he says it right.  By now he should have gotten the point.

How old is he?  And how sick is he?  No offense, but unless my kid was literally very sick, I'd make them get up and do some of their own things.  Nothing major, but they can get a glass of water on their own even if they dont' feel well.  And a little bit of getting up and moving around, especially when sick, is good for them.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Oh, no. I respond to it by telling him that when he can ask nicely I'll be glad to help him out at which point he reluctantly asks nicely. Problem is, 5 minutes later he's back at it again.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM
See, my other 2 kids are that way. They're super sweet and cuddly when they're sick which is ironic because they're my 2 strong willed, hard to handle kids normally. Just to be clear, I'm not catering to him. I let him know that I'll be happy to help him out when he can ask politely. Problem is, he "forgets" and does it again the next time.

Quoting lovemyhoney19:

I ignore my dd when she acts entitled. When she asks politely I respond but she's usually quiet when sick. She'll call me for hugs and cuddles more than anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol! That's why I asked. My dad was the worst! He couldn't ever believe my moms migranes were as bad as they were simply because she could still move. If he was sick it was all over and he was dying! Lol ..Otherwise, he was a great man :-) Mom worked hard at keeping him healthy. Sounds like your little guy has sick man disease, the onlly cure is a foot in the bum! Lol

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)