Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why I will always spay my dog/cat. And you should too.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

When I got my first cat, I saw her in the pet store and thought omfg she is soooooo cute.  I didn;t think of spaying her.  I bought her thinking, pfft cats are easy.

I called the vets and was floored that spay costs were around 300$

I figured eh, she's indoors, she won't have kittens anyhow.  Along the years, I aquired 2 other kitties I found in the streets.  Both female, neither was spayed since they were indoor and would never have kittens.

When she was 15 she started squatting and crying, and it looked like she was trying to pee.  I rushed her to the vet thinking UTI.  When I got there he told me she had pyometra.  An infection in her uterus from not having kittens and not being spayed.

I was devastated.  

I got the antibiotics he gave me and we did 2 run throughs with them.  She seemed to get better.

A year passed.

Then I noticed she smelled awful and had bad breath all the time.  I took her in and the doctor showed me that she had pus oozing out of her vaginal opening.  Her uterus was literally rotting from the inside and oozing out.  Because cats are cats, she hid her pain from it.

We booked her immediately for surgery.

She did not make it.

I loved this cat so much.  And I killed her.

I called my sister and told her.  We decided to bring all of our cats in to be spayed immediately.  She had 2 both 9yrs.  And I had 2 remaining, a 3 and a 4 yr old.

One of my sister's cats didn't make it.  She had a heart attack during recovery and died instantly.

One of my cats during the spay surgery it was discovered also had pyometra.  They removed her uterus and she went on 2 rounds of antibioltics.  She is ok.

So, 5 cats.  2 dead, 2 with pyometra.  More heartbreak and guilt and shame than I can say.

This is why I will ALWAYS spay my cats.

I hope someone learns from our mistakes.  It was a hard lesson to learn first hand.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

bump

OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Yup, I agree. I have a zoo of pets and every single one is spayed/neutered, up to date on shots, and licensed yearly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

my 2 are spayed now. 

My sister and I have talked about it a lot in the passing months.  After her cat died, she decided she wanted another and went to the humane society.  It was kitten season adn she found an adorable orange tabby kitten.  She noticed all the kittens were min. 12 weeks old.  She asked about it and they told her, all animals are spay/neutered before leaving the shelter.

From now on, any cats we have will be coming from there.  She paid 160$ for him and she hasn't had a single regret about it.

Quoting OrientalLily:

Yup, I agree. I have a zoo of pets and every single one is spayed/neutered, up to date on shots, and licensed yearly.

audreesmama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I agree!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
audreesmama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I can hear Bob Barker now, btw lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
yep. a lot of people don't realize that animals are more prone to issues with their reproductive organs if they're never fixed or bred.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I've got all male dogs and one of them will forever remain intact.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Thank you! I get so tired of pet control being pushed as a reason, not that that's a bad reason, when an unaltered, unbreed pet faces very painful health issues. We have a dog that we hadn't spayed for several reasons, then she got sick with pyrometra. It was gross, ruined several pieces of furniture though that little matters. Lost a lot of weight in a very short amount of time, was in massive amounts of pain. I was so upset when the vet told us what was wrong and why. She had her surgery that day, stayed overnight because they couldn't get her to eat or drink afterwards, but she came home the next day. I didn't deal well and would have dealt worse if she hadn't made it. I can imagine your heartache. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Aislinn
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

We have a gorgeous Golden we thought about breeding. My vet got half way through the health problems a dog who is not neutered can have and we quickly decided breeding was a bad idea. Plus, the world does not need more dogs. No matter how awesome my golden is, it is not responsible to add more dogs to the world.

barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Dogs can get them too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN