Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your child go to a Birthday party on Easter Sunday?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sons 5th birthday is on April 4th, he wants to have a bowling party at our local bowling alley.  Great.  I call today to book his party, my SO is off the weekend of the 6th&7th....he gets every other weekend off, but every Sunday off.

They have all tournaments that weekend so an't book his party....so I figured book it on the 31st without realizing that was Easter Sunday....

Would you take time out on Easter Sunday to take your child to their friends birthday party?  I don't think anyone will...but who knows....

I'm pretty sure I'll to rebook it....but that means I'd either have to book it for the 24th of Marh but they only have later openings for parties on that date so the only other option would be to book it on April 14th which is 10 days after his birthday...hmmmm

ETA:

I wouldn't have my son go to a birthday party on Easter either so I knew what the general answer would be. I wondered if everyone felt this way.  We'll just schedule it on the 14th of April....only 10 days after his actual birthday so it's not that big of a deal :)

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Replies (161-170):
Vipergirl22
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would let my kid go. We don't have any big family plans ever.

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Christmas eve!?!  That's crazy, I wouldn't expect anyone to show on Easter, never mind Christmas eve lol

What is the standard time frame to hand out invitatins?  A month, 2 weeks, 1 week?  I have no idea and I can't remember from when I was a kid....

Quoting Anonymous:

No we go out of town. My kids had a friend whose bday party was on xmas eve. They didnt go we were out of town. I will say though it bothered me the party was on xmas eve but also that she gave out the invites four days before party. She also got mad we couldn't come and apparently no one else came either. I felt bad for the little girl but I also felt her mom should have known how hard it would be for her to get people to come on that day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Had my dd been invited to a party on a holiday i would honestly think  the parent planning the party was rude and inconsiderate.  i realize you  said in the OP how you didn't expect  people to come  and take away from their holiday. but think how a parent would think getting that invitation. my immediate thought would be  this person is crazy, how rude to expect me to drop everything on a holiday for  a birthday party. again i was just telling you how i would have seen it had i gotten the invite.

Quoting CeeGee81:

I did....but you basically called me rude, which, was uncalled for and untrue.  You also assumed that I expected people to blow off their Holiday plans to go to my sons birthday, which is definitely not the case as stated in my OP.....and I have also said in this post that if my son were to be invited to a friends birthday party on Easter Sunday, he would not be going because we always have plans for Easter.

Quoting Anonymous:

i am perfectly calm i was just giving you my opinion and how i would feel if dd was invited to a birthday party  on easter...isnt that what you asked for ?

Quoting CeeGee81:

lol calm down....I'm not expecting anything from anyone :)

Quoting Anonymous:

no  Easter is a family time for us. personally i think it would be very rude of you to expect me to take time away from my family on the holiday for a birthday party. plus we go out of state so i definitely wouldn't bring dd, but even if i was in state there is still no way. family comes first.

eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

no

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM
We kind of relate it to "el mal de ojo", the evil eye. To celebrate a birthday too soon is to invite evil.

Quoting CeeGee81:

Hmmmm....that's interesting

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, no. Not just because it is Easter Sunday but because we have a cultural superstition which says it is unlucky to celebrate before a birthday. Silly, yes, but it is one we feel strongly about

Quoting CeeGee81:

I guess we'll have to go with having it 10 days after his actual birthday....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I usually try to get them out two weeks early but thats because i mail them. That said usually i dont mind when i get invites if it is a few weeks notice or a days or two notice but think if you are going to plan a party on a holiday the more notice you can give people the better. If i had gotten the invite earlier unwound have tried to figure something. Out because I felt so bad for this little girl no kids should have nobody show up for their party. I felt like it was bad enough she planned it for a big holiday but didnt give people enough notice because people usually have plans for holidays.

Quoting CeeGee81:

Christmas eve!?!  That's crazy, I wouldn't expect anyone to show on Easter, never mind Christmas eve lol

What is the standard time frame to hand out invitatins?  A month, 2 weeks, 1 week?  I have no idea and I can't remember from when I was a kid....

Quoting Anonymous:

No we go out of town. My kids had a friend whose bday party was on xmas eve. They didnt go we were out of town. I will say though it bothered me the party was on xmas eve but also that she gave out the invites four days before party. She also got mad we couldn't come and apparently no one else came either. I felt bad for the little girl but I also felt her mom should have known how hard it would be for her to get people to come on that day.

JMmomof2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
My sons birthday is March 31st so his party is the 24th. I wouldn't send him to a party on easter
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lionpaw
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Happy birthday to your kid!!

I wouldn't, but Easter is like one of my top favorite holidays!!!

Can you scedule it durring the kids spring break? if they get one?

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!

We rescheduled for the 14th :)  He doesn't really understand dates and lengths of time so it's not a big deal....he's still super excited :)

Quoting Lionpaw:

Happy birthday to your kid!!

I wouldn't, but Easter is like one of my top favorite holidays!!!

Can you scedule it durring the kids spring break? if they get one?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Yes cause I don't celebrate it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN