Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

black nurse sues Michigan hospital-PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 3 Replies

Has this already been posted here?  I put this in another group, and I'm wondering if I'd get more responses in here.

It's been all over our newspapers, so I thought I'd see what you guys think. A dad requested there be no black nurses caring for his newborn in one of our hospitals. Apparently there was a note posted with the baby about his request, and 2 black nurses sued the hospital b/c in Michigan the hospital is not supposed to allow you to choose the race or gender of your nurse.

What do you think?

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/02/flint_naacp_confronts_hurley_b.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/02/al_sharptons_organization_disc.html

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
catrig
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I think the lawsuit is ridiculous. It didn't affect their employment. People should have the right to have their wishes respected about who treats them. Barring an emergency. Doesn't mean I don't think the parents aren't racist asswipes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherhalf
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM

If the hospital did this, and they do deny doing that, I think they were wrong.  If the hospital did tell the father that the request could not be met, which they claim, then I don't think the nurse should sue over a request the hospital denied.

I think people have the right to have competent care, not care by a requested race.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

lol, I totally agree with you.  Yes, they're racist crapheads...but I don't think it's such a horrible thing to want to pick who handles your newborn.  They should've had a homebirth or something, but that's not an option for everyone.

Quoting catrig:

I think the lawsuit is ridiculous. It didn't affect their employment. People should have the right to have their wishes respected about who treats them. Barring an emergency. Doesn't mean I don't think the parents aren't racist asswipes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)