Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you consider this abuse? Update!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 130 Replies
So my dds birthday party was a few days ago and my friend I haven't seen in about a year came down from Oklahoma to see us. She had her 18 month old son with her.

He was a little hyper, but nothing really out of the ordinary. Well my friend obviously had a hard time with him and I did my best to help, but I was setting up for the party do I was very distracted.

My phone was sitting on an end table charging and he wanted to play with it. She told me not to move it and she was teaching him not to touch.

I get that, I did the same thing with my dd.

Every time he would touch it, she smacked his hand and said no, not a yell, but much louder than a regular voice.

Ok, not how I do things but whatever. She stepped out for a cigarette do I went over to try to work on the no touching. He lost interest and went over to play with my dd, I went back to putting on decorations.

When my friend came in she ran over screaming, I thought they were doing something bad so I peeked around the corner and saw her whack Jim on his butt pretty hard. I didn't see the offense, so I didn't say anything.

Then they were coloring and he took a bite of a crayon, she yelled and spanked him again.

Then he took a toy from my dd, she yelled and spanked him again.

My other friend showed up with her dd, my friends son pushed her down, on accident, he was walking backwards and bumped in to her. Well she yelled spanked him again.

The boy got quite a few spankings and I'm wondering if cases dive spankings are abuse? I've never been around that sort of punishment so I don't know.

I think she's abusing him, dh says I'm being dramatic.

I very well might be.

What do you think?

Ok, I'm being dramatic with the abuse, but it is excessive and I feel like I should still help her, what if I asked her to take a parenting class with me?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Not abuse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM
No, not abuse.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

not abuse imo

allsolittle
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Not abuse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

On an 18 month old? Too harsh definitely, but IDK about abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Ok good. I really think I knew that lol. I feel stupid, but I was shocked at the fact she hit a baby. I'm really not normal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not abuse.
rockgal81
by Steph on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM
7 moms liked this
I don't know if it's abuse, but it's shitty parenting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
morriganna
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Your husband's right.

NNB
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I don't think its abuse... but it sure is a way to break a kids spirit, he sounds like a normal child, most of what he's doing he will grow out of

Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Tough call.  I don't know that I would go so far to say it's abuse, but I certainly think it's an awful way to try to teach a toddler what not to do.  I don't spank, but even the people I know who do don't go around spanking their kid many times a day.  They sort of "save" it for major offenses.  I think it sucks as a punishment, is ineffective and possibly detrimental to children in other ways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)