Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I raising a genius or a lazy kid? LOL

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 97 Replies

52 math problems tonight (belch) and ds is in kindergarten.  Rather than doing the math and counting he would say, "Well, I know 6+6=12 so 6+7=13" etc.  He wasn't actually doing any math, just recognizing sequences (for instance rather than counting 6+7, he recognized that it is asking what 12+1 is because 7 is one more than 6).  

I let him get away with it because, lets face it, thats pretty clever and it was a never ending sheet of math problems, but, is this setting up bad ground for the future by allowing him to take short cuts, or, is it ok because he recognizes on some level that thats how it goes?  Basically what I'm asking is if I should make him count it out next time or allow him to do his short cuts as long as they work?

You know you want it

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelbabies11
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I think that's super smart! Way to go! My dd is in first grade and has a horrible time in math. =/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I say definitely allow the short cuts! I learned through sequences just like that and to this day those sequences are how I'm able to do math quickly. Numbers have always been my 'thing', even through college with accounting. Figuring out those sequences takes more brain power than counting, so definitely not lazy, he'll just be able to recognize solutions quicker!

sidneyb
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Thats awesome.
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Not lazy... smart! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstricey
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM
That's what I do. Ive been in trouble so many times in school for not working out the problem. I just do it in my head and write the answer. I had to teach the class today how I came up with my answer to a dosage calculation and I almost confused myself writing it out and explaining it. But the answer on my paper was right. :/
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My son is the same way. I let him get away with it. Art this point, as long as the answer is right & hes not cheating, that's fine with me. He is in Kinder too. Math is his specialty, reading...we are still struggling.
southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My son's math curriculum actually teaches those tricks. Mental math is a great thing to know. He's doing a doubles plus 1 sequence, the make ten sequence is helpful too.

I naturally did math that way when I was a kid, my teachers accused me of cheating all the time. I was so happy when I saw that it was now more accepted because ds is just like me when it comes to math.

FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Its fine, we all do things like that. I forget my 6 times tables so i just do to the 5s and add the next number amount up for the 6s. 6*7 = 5*7+7 Or like reading. Are you ACTUALLY reading what I've typed or have to just memorized the words at this point? You didn't sound out any of this. :-) I also still do my 9s times table with my fingers for extra satisfaction that I am right lol

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

GENIUS!  It's deductive reasoning and it's great that he is recognizing those patterns.

IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

There's nothing wrong with shortcuts. Shouldnt be an issue later either!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)