Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Birth Plan??? Necessary or Pointless?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM
  • 45 Replies

Hi,

This will be my dh's and I's first baby and we are really excited. A friend of mine mentioned that I should write out a birth plan. I was wondering how many of you did and found them to be useful and how many found them pointless.

I fully understand that some things are out of my control in a hospital setting. 

If I were to write a birth plan these are the main things I want.

1. I want delayed cord clamping, 2. I do not any family/friends in labor/delivery except for my dh, 3. I do not want my baby given a pacifier or formula as I plan to ebf. 

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Pointless.
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Nothing is out of your control is a hospital setting, no matter what some people will try to tell you.

How about episiotomy/forceps, etc?  Pit?  Do you want epidurals to be offered to you? 

orcawhales98
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM

You can write out a birth plan that is a good idea to list what you want.  But keep in mind you might want to change things during the labor/delivery. 

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Honestly, I think actually writing out a birth plan would be pointless. The nurses and doctor have several patients, so they won't remember what was in your specific birth plan, and in the moment, they won't have time to read it. 

I think your best bet is to make sure your husband knows your wishes, and remind him that he is to be your advocate. You'd be surprised what kinds of things you are adamant about going in, but in the moment, you're willing to give in. 

For example--with my second, I absolutely did NOT want pitocin. But, when I was in labor and the doctor insisted I needed it, I was ready to give in....my husband stepped in and reminded me that I didn't want it nor did I need it...he reminded me that I had a right to refuse....and so, I didn't have pitocin. If he didn't know my intentions, I would have given in to something I didn't want. 

Good luck! 

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Pointless. Just tell your friends and family to stay out of the labor/delivery and tell your doctor about the rest.

People can plan all they want but things just happen how they're going to.

lendales_mommi
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Pointless you never know what is going to happen..but obviously you want to KNOW what you want but that doesnt mean it's gunna happen... Good luck MOMMA and congrats on Baby#1

Iamstacey
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Agree that it's more for you and dh than anything. Drs don't care so much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahbsquare
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM

pointless
i had a plan and it didn't work out at all
ended up c-section with both babies. 

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM

You can plan all you want, but your labor will NOT fall under the "plan" haha - But I don't think it's a bad idea to set up a plan anyway.  

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Char-Bear
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Congratulations! I have no advice I had my first 17 years ago never even heard of a birth plan then, my second was an emergency c-section at 35 weeks so I hadn't got that far and this one will be a scheduled c-section. I would say do it just so your wishes are clear.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)