Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Green thumb mamas, I need you!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
So I have this African Violet and I think she's in trouble. I'm no bueno with plants so I'm not sure what to do. Anyway, I got a clipping about two years ago and it's grown decently into a small plant. Occasional brown dead stems and leaves and only one bloom.
I successfully repotted it nearly a year ago.
So the last two weeks maybe it started doing horribly and tonight I decided I would repot and resoil and freshly feed to see if I could revitalize it.
Weeeellll, I gently dug out the root cluster and suddenly
ANTS.
Lots of ants.
I immediately removed the pot, tried to shake off the remaining soil. I rinsed the roots to try to get the ants off. I repotted resoiled and fed it. Put the fresh pot in an ant free zone.
When I finished that I noticed just how badly she looks. I pruned off a lot of plant when I removed the dead, and there are still a few that are partially dead. It looks PITIFUL.
So now I'm wondering if I did the wrong thing and now the plant will die or what. Having it for years already, I'm kinda attached lol.
Help me to help save a plants life!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM
diatamiceas(sp?) earth in the soil.. or google. I know there are tons of household items that can be helpful for pests but I'm not sure about the ants. I do know lemon juice rubbed on the outside of the pot will help keep them out they hate lemon good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I've been trying to google but I haven't had much time and everything I'm finding is about spiders and mites, nothing about ants. Thanks for the bump!

Quoting Anonymous:

diatamiceas(sp?) earth in the soil.. or google. I know there are tons of household items that can be helpful for pests but I'm not sure about the ants. I do know lemon juice rubbed on the outside of the pot will help keep them out they hate lemon good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Anyone else? Calling all green thumbs, hear ye hear ye..
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Bumping for my sad plant.
jojo_382
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
there is something you can do for the ants but I can't remember let me look it up and then I'll let you know
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Thank you so much! Is there anything different I should be doing for my plant to aid the recovery?

Quoting jojo_382:

there is something you can do for the ants but I can't remember let me look it up and then I'll let you know

Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Aww.. I get attached to plants, too. I feel your pain. Did you exam the roots really well? The could have done so much damage, there is no going back. The last resort is cutting the plant, completely back. It may just be reacting to the re potting, but it also could have suffered too much damage to its root system. Also, make sure not to over water. Let the soil barely dry before watering again. Don't want to cause root rot. You could also try cloning it. Take the healthiest leave, get some cloning solution ( anywhere that sells plant stuff.. Not supwr necessary, but helpful) dip it and either plant or ( my favorite) put it in water and wait to root. It, technically, will still be your original plant. Good luck!

jojo_382
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_4910533_rid-ants-plants.html
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I didn't, I'm not even sure what to look for as far as damage. The center of the plant still seems very healthy. Judging by the stems and leaves anyway, they're very strong and vibrant green. So I suppose the issue is did the ants poison her or cause a disease that will continue to spread? I'm hoping I didn't shock the whole plant when I transplanted. I would have approached more cautiously had I realized there was an infestation. I was thinking of going to Lowes to get a new permanent pot today and transplanting again. The new pot I put it in yesterday was smaller than I realized.. So if I were to uproot her again, what would I look for damage wise on the roots? Can I just prune away the damaged roots?

Quoting Aislinn:

Aww.. I get attached to plants, too. I feel your pain. Did you exam the roots really well? The could have done so much damage, there is no going back. The last resort is cutting the plant, completely back. It may just be reacting to the re potting, but it also could have suffered too much damage to its root system. Also, make sure not to over water. Let the soil barely dry before watering again. Don't want to cause root rot. You could also try cloning it. Take the healthiest leave, get some cloning solution ( anywhere that sells plant stuff.. Not supwr necessary, but helpful) dip it and either plant or ( my favorite) put it in water and wait to root. It, technically, will still be your original plant. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Thanks mama!

Quoting jojo_382:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4910533_rid-ants-plants.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)