Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it really THAT hard to walk into another room to breastfeed in certain places?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I totally get the need to feed your child, I'm not against breastfeeding at all! But if a public place has a designated area that is clean, more than accommodating, comfortable, and has toys for whatever other older children you may have. Then why would you not use that area to feed your child? When it is obvious the people there have went out of their way to supply a place that you can comfortably, and privately breastfeed, why not use it? Ive seen mothers who have done this, and honestly I just think they want the attention. I honestly think they are looking for someone to negatively comment on what they are doing so that they can complain about it. I get if there isn't a clean comfortable accommodating place that nursing in public is necessary sometimes, but if its offered then is it really that hard to walk into the designated area to feed your child? No, it's not.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this
In the library I might do that. But if I am in a grocery store with a cart load and still have more stuff to get, I am not going to go into their bathroom/nursing room/go to my vehicle... I'm going to adjust my sling, pull my under shirt and bra down and my over shirt up and go about shopping while I let my LO nurse. If I am eating dinner with my family the same thing will happen. Nobody is seeing anything, so what is the harm?

I could not do those things with my son who is still nursing, but if my next baby will allow it you can bet your bucks I will. It sucks big fat hairy ones to be stuck alone nursing a baby for 30 minutes to an hour while everyone else is eating and talking and having a great time.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't even think that, but if a woman is offered a place that is more than accommodating it seems like asking for people to look at you if you don use it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, I know. I just mean, I don't understand people who don't try to be discreet. I realize baby needs to eat but I don't see the need to show everyone else your tits in the process. If you're outside and it is 95 degrees, that's a different story but inside in an air conditioned/heated environment I think nursing moms should have to cover.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

You can be discreet and still NIP. Double shirt method or using covers is just wonderful for being discreet.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't imagine just flopping my tit out anywhere and popping my baby on. I am about to have a newborn that I am going to breastfeed and while I realize at times I will have to nurse in public, I just can't fathom not being discreet about it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortycmlb
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this

What a perfect analogy.I completely agree!

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

I rememebr ther was this time where whites went out of their way to provide blacks with their own bathrooms and fountains and even schools. Why indeed didn't they smile and say yes sir and enjoy the things given to them?

BF is natural and normal. Given the attires people wear today I think having issue with a natural thing is shallow. Why the hel should I have to stop shopping and go to a "special" area? It will take longer to get ther and back to where I needed to be then to feed the child. Moms do make use of those ares when they can, but seriously is there anyone that is against BF in public that actually BF'ed? I wonder. An how many of you that are against public bf wear clothes that show a bit too much cleavage, booty and leave little to nothing tothe imagination, or ever wore a sting bakini or a two piece of any kind. Why to reveaing for me, we can show off our breats if it is to suduce a guy but to feed a child is a no-no? SMH

horseap
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:28 AM

You never responded so Ill reply like someone were asking me to go to this room.  I would tell them No thanks, were fine right where we are.  If they didnt like that the DH would get involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would you complain if someone were to say something to you?

Quoting horseap:

The function of a breast and bottle are the same.  A bottle is no different than a breast, they have the same purpose and Im sorry you are uncomfortable.  I will cover and nurse as I walk through walmart.  If my baby is hungry you can get over yourself, Im feeding my child.

I know the rooms you are talking about, but I dont want to lounge in some strange place.  I want to take care of my baby and get out the door.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Lol yep and I'm not too far behind you in boob size.

Quoting audreesmama:

This only ever happens on cm, and it's only ever anons who admit to it. Lol.

I wear an H cup now, and show more boob in a tank top than I do when breastfeeding.

Quoting armywife009:

I don't think I have ever seen a mom just "flop" her titty out. I use to bf dd in the store all the time and you would never know it (unless you heard her, she was a loud eater, lol).

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't imagine just flopping my tit out anywhere and popping my baby on. I am about to have a newborn that I am going to breastfeed and while I realize at times I will have to nurse in public, I just can't fathom not being discreet about it.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:30 AM
3 moms liked this
I will never understand why breastfeeding in front of others bothers you. You can look away and mind your own business you know. I mean why should a mother who is feeding her child be treated like she is performing some unspeakable act in front of strangers. This is coming from someone who has never breastfed. When I see mothers feeding their babies I don't make it a point to stare notice or care at all. I just glance and go about my business and hope no one gives the woman grief for doing something amazing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MizzDeeDee
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:30 AM
2 moms liked this

So should bottle fed babies be separated too? Should moms who bottle feed go to another more accommodating room too? That's really what you're asking. Why a mother wouldn't go feed her child separate from everyone else, because that's all that breastfeeding is... it's feeding your child. I don't know why one method is treated so differently when the intent is the same.

I used a cover when I breastfed my daughter and I remember my MIL and her family tried to make me go into a bedroom and breastfeed my child because they weren't comfortable.. and this was with me being completely covered up. Guess what? Didn't move. Parked my ass right on that couch and fed her with the cover over us in front of everyone.

I'm in the business of feeding my kid, not accommodating uptight people who can't understand that I'm nourishing my own kid. If I want to go into another room I will, but I'll be damned if I'm going to have someone force me because of their own hangups.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 AM

I think it really depends on the situation. For example, sitting on shelving, the floor, in the middle of a shopping aisle, or a ladder (all things my mom has witnessed and had to deal with at her job) when there is an accommodating place such as a nursing room then you are causing both a nuisance and a liability hazard. If you are unable to keep track of your other children while nursing and they are running wild, then you should  use the designated area set up with toys and such in order to be respectful of those around you because it's not so much the nursing, it's your kids running wild that is the issue.

I managed to NIP without an issue but I was mindful of my surroundings and what would be the most comfortable and convenient place to do so. I preferred the comfortable areas where I could keep my other children busy. Not everyone does and as long as they can handle other children and not become a liability with where they are sitting it is not a problem.

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Is it really that hard to not look at breastfeeding as sexual?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:35 AM
Why do you care so much?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:39 AM
Amen!! I think most bashers are jealous.

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

I will never understand why breastfeeding in front of others bothers you. You can look away and mind your own business you know. I mean why should a mother who is feeding her child be treated like she is performing some unspeakable act in front of strangers. This is coming from someone who has never breastfed. When I see mothers feeding their babies I don't make it a point to stare notice or care at all. I just glance and go about my business and hope no one gives the woman grief for doing something amazing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)