Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it really THAT hard to walk into another room to breastfeed in certain places?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I totally get the need to feed your child, I'm not against breastfeeding at all! But if a public place has a designated area that is clean, more than accommodating, comfortable, and has toys for whatever other older children you may have. Then why would you not use that area to feed your child? When it is obvious the people there have went out of their way to supply a place that you can comfortably, and privately breastfeed, why not use it? Ive seen mothers who have done this, and honestly I just think they want the attention. I honestly think they are looking for someone to negatively comment on what they are doing so that they can complain about it. I get if there isn't a clean comfortable accommodating place that nursing in public is necessary sometimes, but if its offered then is it really that hard to walk into the designated area to feed your child? No, it's not.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:40 AM
FFS this again??
crumpy_gat
by No. on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:42 AM
I always hear of this nip war and have yet to encounter it myself. In a total of 2+ years of breastfeeding not one person bothered me when nip. Where are these folks who are so against public breastfeeding that women go on the defensive?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM

oh shut up.

why should i seclude myself from my outing to sit in a room and feed my baby.

if i was self concious and didnt want to be seen, then those rooms are great, but if not...there is no reason to go hide away to feed a baby.

We have nursing rooms in our mall, but I never use them. I didn't go to the mall to hide away in a toy room. I can just as easily feed my baby and keep walking and shopping, or eating my meal or whatever else I'm doing. 

If I wanted to hide away in a comfortable room with toys for older children...I would have stayed home

mizzmami
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I use to try and BF secretly ( bathrooms, dressing rooms, in the car ) it was a lot of hassle to stop what I was doing and find a place to BF and only because I didn't want to make anyone else uncomfortable until I was shopping in Abercrombie and went into a dressing room where my daughter was trying on clothes and I was told that I could not use their facilities to BF and would need to find some place else to go. After I refused and finished feeding my child I never again went out of my way to make anyone else comfortable except myself and my child. So even when you try and BF out of sight you still get shit from people so I will feed my child wherever and whenever it's time.
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Is it really hard not to stare at a breastfeeding mother in a public place? If you don't want to see it LOOK THE OTHER WAY. Simple.
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM
4 moms liked this

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM

I don't feel the need to hide while NIP.  I just sit down and feed my baby, usually while not making eye contact with anyone.  I don't need anyone's opinion, I'm just giving my child what he needs.  I don't think it is disrespectful.  I do my best to cover up (even though DS refuses a cover, he always bats it away) and honestly you can't see anything while I nurse.  NIP isn't about forwarding an agenda, it's just about feeding my baby.  If that's so offensive, don't stare!

ginene
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:55 AM
I wouldn't leave. I would just pull out my blanket and put it over me and my baby while breastfeeding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM

It disgusts me.  I can watch a furry german guy in speedos at a resort go to have lunch and that disgusts me too.  It's natural, I know that, but it grosses me out.  Just like feet.  Where I come from proper people do not show their toes in open toed shoes unless they are on the beach.  toes are natural, but considered inappropriate for display in certain situations.  I see toes and it makes me want to vomit.  BF'ing is the same.

Quoting stickyfingers:

Yes it sometimes is hard. And if you are somewhere with your family why does a nursing mom have to be shut away or left out because she needs to feed the baby? Why is it such a problem for you to see a baby eat?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:04 AM
5 moms liked this

Offensive to no one, socially accepted and widely displayed for all to see........

Irrefutably offensive, socially unaccepted and regarded as disgusting, needing to be shunned...

Because this totally makes sense...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)