Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it really THAT hard to walk into another room to breastfeed in certain places?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I totally get the need to feed your child, I'm not against breastfeeding at all! But if a public place has a designated area that is clean, more than accommodating, comfortable, and has toys for whatever other older children you may have. Then why would you not use that area to feed your child? When it is obvious the people there have went out of their way to supply a place that you can comfortably, and privately breastfeed, why not use it? Ive seen mothers who have done this, and honestly I just think they want the attention. I honestly think they are looking for someone to negatively comment on what they are doing so that they can complain about it. I get if there isn't a clean comfortable accommodating place that nursing in public is necessary sometimes, but if its offered then is it really that hard to walk into the designated area to feed your child? No, it's not.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM
Replies (741-745):
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Yes! I used to nurse the baby while eating dinner all the time! Haha

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Yea and I multi task. No way do I want to leave my food at the table when out to eat! We eat together!The whole family

Quoting stickyfingers:

Lol you would miss everything if you were hidden away!

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Exactly! My lil guy takes 30-45 MIN to.eat. I don't want to.leave for that long

Quoting stickyfingers:

Yes it sometimes is hard. And if you are somewhere with your family why does a nursing mom have to be shut away or left out because she needs to feed the baby? Why is it such a problem for you to see a baby eat?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a5hl3yC
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I just know a lot of them are small. But I'll keep that in mind since we will be adding to our family come this halloween :)  I think it's all about maintenance with those areas and making them more convenient to moms. I think that in order for the idea to work they would need to add just as many as the amount of bathrooms. I do feel like there isn't enough. Our local mall only has 1 family bathroom that I know of which makes shopping a bit more challenging.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Pretty sure isn't rude. I much rather have my younger toddler have someone to play with after feeding and for mom to mom chat as we feed our babies. KWIM? It's ababy room or mothers room and it's OK to feed both bottlefeed and breastfeed in them.

Quoting a5hl3yC:

I have but I thought it was rude on my part since I wasn't breastfeeding and I didn't want to take up the space for those who do.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Are bottle feeding mothers going to get up and feed their child in that room?

didn't think so

BEXi
by BEXi on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I didnt BF, nor would I ever due to anxiety issues- but it's not about ATTENTION. It's about being treated as NORMAL. Babies eat, just as adults do- why do they have to go do it privately?

il0v3mybug
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
My kid hated the nursing cover he got too hot so he would rip it off i had a guy watch it happen and laugh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyMarcoux
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I believe the person you are quoting already answered that. Because family outings with a newborn or young nursing infant can be rare. The point is to take advantage of the opportunity to get out of the house, shake a little of the cabin fever that new parents can end up feeling, and have a pleasant time with others while they are able to be out. Having to be secluded for a large portion of that time in a room away from everyone because the baby has to nurse while they are out makes those feelings worse rather than better. Shame on you for acting like it is a huge problem for a new mom to have a social life, or at least a little time out of the house for a pleasantday. Also, I have not seen you explain why it is such a huge problem for others who do not want to see a nursing baby to simply not stare at the mother who is feeding the baby. If it bothers people, they ought to look away. Instead, people who have issues with nursing often seem to feel the need to stare as they shake their heads disapprovingly. Some people need to quit poking noses into the business of others and watch their own.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have a problem with it, but some do. If a clean comfortable environment is provided to do it in respect to others then why not utilize it. It's not like they are telling you to go to a bathroom or your car.

Quoting stickyfingers:

Yes it sometimes is hard. And if you are somewhere with your family why does a nursing mom have to be shut away or left out because she needs to feed the baby? Why is it such a problem for you to see a baby eat?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN