Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UK Mommies

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

What do you and your SO do for a living?

What is your montly income?

How much is your rent/mortgage?

How much are utilities?

How much is spent on groceries, non essential items, ie. internet, television, ect.?

DH and I are planning on moving to the UK....quite a long time from now, but I just like to see how other families are living.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beeky
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I'm British but now live in Canada.  When we moved here, my dh was doing the same job but being paid twice as much and our house cost the same as our house in Britain but it is 3 times bigger and the cost of living is much higher in Britain.

That was 13 years ago and the British economy is a lot worse now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Wow geez. 

Quoting beeky:

I'm British but now live in Canada.  When we moved here, my dh was doing the same job but being paid twice as much and our house cost the same as our house in Britain but it is 3 times bigger and the cost of living is much higher in Britain.

That was 13 years ago and the British economy is a lot worse now. 

NNB
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Omg... just dont do it...

Living conditions are ghorrendous, flats are rented mouldy and sinking, rent varies from £700 (1 bedroom flat) and just increases dramatically. A 2 bedroom is at least £1100 pcm.

Minimum wage is £6.19 if you're 21 or over.

Groceries, now, we spend about £95 per week. and thats being frugal, we don'e have luxury meals such as pizza or take out, we prepare bulk meals that stay in the fridge/freezer as we save money this way

Utilities... about £120 per month in council tax, £30-£100 per month on electric/gas, £50 per month on water,

Then theres travel fare to and from work... you're looking at at least £42 for a weekly underground ticket

Internet charges... ours was £120 to set up,. then £33 per month there after, but that includes internet, TV and Phone... we don't watch TV or use a phone, but, if we want to take them off of the contract it costs us a large bulk sum, and they don't set up the contract without them....

UK sucks, it's really expensive here and living conditions are getting worse

krissy920
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM
We are usaf mil stationed in england. We rented off base, our rent was 1275 pounds a month, tv internet phone 200 ppounds, gas and electric varied because we prepaid, winter months we ended up paying alot. We prepaid 105 pounds a month, and in winter every three months or so wed pay 700+ pounds on top of of that. My cell phone is about 80 pounds a month as well.
NNB
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Another thing, we pay all this council tax and you want to see the state of the roads, the lamp posts, the parks, everything is run down, it really isnt worth moving,

beeky
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Google Tesco, Sainsburys and Asda to get a price comparison.  They are British grocery stores. 

You should also try googling property for sale in the UK.  It is will at least give you some idea at what you can afford. 

If you really want to give yourself a heart attack, google gas (petrol in the UK) prices. 

beeky
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM

You also need a license to watch TV!

NNB
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:48 AM

That you do, and that is something like £100 a year, I don't know. If you don't watch TV they will demand access to your property so that you can "prove" it to them, if not, they will fine you!

Edit - real info

A colour TV Licence costs £145.50 and a black and white TV Licence costs £49.00. There are a number of ways that you can pay, for more information see payment methods.

Quoting beeky:

You also need a license to watch TV!

NNB
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Minimum Wage

Year

21 and over 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice*
2012 (current rate) £6.19 £4.98 £3.68 £2.65
2011 £6.08 £4.98 £3.68 £2.60
2010 £5.93 £4.92 £3.64 £2.50
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM

WOW.

And to think I was completely hating living conditions in the US. 

Oh man.

Last time I was in England it wasn't nearly this bad.

Crap. 

I think everywhere is screwed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)