Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dating, how young is too young?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I took my son to a roller skating party last night. Once a month his school has great skate night. Anyway, as we were getting our skates on I overheard a group of 4th and 5th grade girls talking. One girl asked the other if she was going out with so and so. She said yes. One girl commented how she didn't think he was very cute. Just then the guy of topic came up behind the girl who said she was dating him and put his arm around her. The girls all giggled and the two skated of holding hands. One girl got out her cell phone and was texting a friend. My son is friends with one of the girls little sister so I know they were 4th and 5th graders. Well as the night went on I noticed almost every kids 8 years old and up had cell phones and lots of girls 9 and up were talking about boys. Call me old fashioned but an 8 year old with a cell phone is like wth. 10 year old girls dating just blows me away. What cracks me up though is the same girls who said they had boyfriends and cellphones acting all grown up were all sucking on oversized light up binkies. My oldest is 7 years old and Dh and I have already agreed that he will not get a cell phone until he reaches high school and won't be dating until then either. Is 3rd, 4th and 5th to young to date? Would you allow your child of that age to date?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
Seximama89
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I have 2 daughters, no dating until 16.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
My dd just turned 3, I have no idea what we'll do when she starts talking about "boyfriends" but I'll be the mom in the row behind them eating popcorn at the movies, unless its a horror movie, then I'll be the mom one row back hiding with a flashlight (horror movies scare the hell out of me)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I think you are over reacting. At that age there is really no such thing as dating. MY girls had cell phones at that age. No one else is paying the bill, so not their business.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

WAY too young.  In our home, under 18 is too young for a serious bf/gf, but the kids won't be casual dating til they hit at least 16 years old.

smushy79
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

14 or older is ok in my opinion. Dating should not be a priority.

Gemini_MomOfTwo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I think once they get into high school. I didnt date until I was 17 though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dolphingurl1286
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Yes way to young in my opinion.

truelove813
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I was "dating" boys in 5th grade. We were to shy to talk to each other, but thats besides the point ;) lol.. In 6th grade I dated with actual talking and hanging out (at the skating rink too!!) It was harmless, until 8th grade. 

GLO682
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Too young. my daughter is 8 and boys are still gross to her. thank God.

my daughter did ask for a cell phone but i told her she has to be atleast 13. if she needs to talk on the phone she can use mine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

That's not exactly dating at that age. When they say they are going with someone that just means it is their "boyfriend".  To me a date is going out alone. My children can have boyfriends and girlfriends supervised. I had boyfriends at that age and we held hands but we didn't kiss. We most certainly were never left alone. It's usually innocent at that age.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured