Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dating, how young is too young?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I took my son to a roller skating party last night. Once a month his school has great skate night. Anyway, as we were getting our skates on I overheard a group of 4th and 5th grade girls talking. One girl asked the other if she was going out with so and so. She said yes. One girl commented how she didn't think he was very cute. Just then the guy of topic came up behind the girl who said she was dating him and put his arm around her. The girls all giggled and the two skated of holding hands. One girl got out her cell phone and was texting a friend. My son is friends with one of the girls little sister so I know they were 4th and 5th graders. Well as the night went on I noticed almost every kids 8 years old and up had cell phones and lots of girls 9 and up were talking about boys. Call me old fashioned but an 8 year old with a cell phone is like wth. 10 year old girls dating just blows me away. What cracks me up though is the same girls who said they had boyfriends and cellphones acting all grown up were all sucking on oversized light up binkies. My oldest is 7 years old and Dh and I have already agreed that he will not get a cell phone until he reaches high school and won't be dating until then either. Is 3rd, 4th and 5th to young to date? Would you allow your child of that age to date?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
jasonadamvowell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I love this! I will use it on my boys when they get older but I think they will be middle school age before they are aloud to "date" same with the girl and if the boy wanting to date her doesn't do all of these things she won't be "dating" him. Also my niece got a cell phone for 11th birthday, I think that's a good age as well

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Yes My sons dated in 5th grade. Why ? because they asked. Why did I let them because I saw other kids sneaking around doing it. We sat our boys down and told them the rules of dating.

1) call her parents and ask if you can date her (thought for sure that would end it right there)

2) make a plan of what day, where you want to go and then call her and ask her out.

3) I or dh & I chaperoned these dates.

4) we pick up the girl. Sons go to door.Go in meet parents, reiterrate the plans. ASK what tie date needs to be home.

5) Treat her like a lady just like dad has shown and taught you.

6) buy her movie ticket, drink, snack & sit 1 row in front of mom

7) after date walk her to the door, thank her parents for allowing you0 to date her.

We did this until HS. It worked for us. Parents of the girls loved how my sons treated and respected them and their DDs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM

When my 5th grade dd talks about going out with boys I don't really see it as dating since they only see each other at school.  My son just had his Middle School dance and he went with a girl but then again I don't see that as a date either because the whole time they were supervised by teachers.  They don't get to seriously date until they are 16.

MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Sixteen is the absolute youngest we allowed any of our children to date.  A couple of them needed to wait until they were seventeen actually. 

SoKamele
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM

no

PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I've had this discussion with my kids. They are not allowed to date until they go to college. They will be allowed to socially date, as in go to dances, out with friends, and such, but NO ONE ON ONE dating until they are out of high school. They already know the rules. It won't change.

Of course, this is reinforced by my 16yo cousin who is 5 months pregnant and just got married, after dropping out of high school...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
My DD is 13 and in middle school.. I let her have a boyfriend this year.. And dating for them us movies,cupcake dates,and dinner with his mom and me present
tifbrown
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Not appropriate. They should still be playing with dolls at that age. Kids grow up way too fast these days. 

ericaaf
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

husband and i decided that our son will not have a cell phone unless hes in after school sports....and as far as dating he will be allowed to go on one on one dates when he is a senior in high school (he will be 17/18)

3mom627
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM

That seems awful young. We thought our 13 year old foster daughter was too young, but 9 and 10 year olds. I had my first "boyfriend" in ninth grade. We didn't date because he didn't work/didn't have any money. Our time was spent between my parents house and his. But, that was 40 years ago a different time.

3MOM627

have a nice day

ladyvamp5489
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

my kids are not allowed to "date" till high school and no one on one dating till 16.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)