Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PA/ wic and the WORKING poor

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 251 Replies
12 moms liked this
I truly can understand people's reticence(sp?) when it comes to people who are not working, and live off of government aid. What I don't get is why people have a problem with the working poor getting assistance.
If you are working, you are paying into the system just like everyone else. Taxes get taken out of everyone's paychecks unless it is under the table.
What is wrong with a struggling family getting some help to make ends meet when they are working, but just not making enough to make it?
My husband made decent money before he got laid off, but after 700 dollars in insurance a month, our belts were pretty tight.
I am getting into a program here in Texas that provides schooling for free, and when I am done, our financial problems should be alleviated, but in the meantime, we need help. Both of us have paid into the system for the past 20 years. Shouldn't we be allowed the help right now, when we need it?

Oh, and by the way, the program I am getting into, requires community involvement on the part of the student, and a minimum of a 2 year commitment in their chosen field. It also offers opprtunities for further education to advancebyour career.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM
11 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with asking and recieving help if you need it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM
7 moms liked this

I don't see anything wrong with  a working person getting help if needed. A lot of people don't understand that some sahm don't work because of daycare cost. When most jobs would be part time and after they pay daycare they have no extra money left and are still needing assistance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I was in the army and had wic until my bah kicked in... I needed it. and if you do? ok.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
7 moms liked this
A layoff is understandable but if you're popping out kids before getting an education and establishing a career then it's a problem. Kids aren't a right, I only had one because I can comfortably afford one and not struggle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

bump

wildlilacs
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
What program in Texas that offers free schooling? I know ppl who can use that.
I was on PA years ago and I did work. Like you I put into the system. Its there to help, a hand up.
And those that live off goverment, not my worry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
3 moms liked this

I think people are annoyed because the majority seem to be on it for poor choices,like not getting an education before kids, or having kids before you can afford it.  I know I don't mind helping people, BUT some of them really should start making better choices.  I really hate listening to the excuses as well.  Also, they do not pay federal taxes at all(the working poor).  Everything they  pay out they get right back at tax time and usually even more so. SO, no, they are not paying for it.  Bad times can happen to anyone, but poor choices  are just that, a CHOICE

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Because people are mad they have to part out of pocket and don't understand that other people can be in truly dire need.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I see no problem with a family getting help as long as both parents are working to get off assistance, working and getting paid. Unless one parent or a child is disabled both parents need to be working to better the situation.
frzmamaof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Agreed!

Quoting jenmomx3:

There is nothing wrong with asking and recieving help if you need it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)