Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ETA: Reading another bf'ing post reminded me of something...opinions?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So... I get the inconvenience of having to pack all your stuff up, drag a baby (often screaming) away to another room, and be sometimes isolated just to bf in private... And I don't think it's always necessary. I bf'd both of mine. I'm FOR bf'ing as long as possible.
However, there really are some places where public bf'ing is just not appropriate.
Say... In the middle of church on the front pew. Yes, I've seen this happen. The woman unbuttoned her shirt, pulled her 4 year old up on her lap, and popped her breast right out in the open. She Didn't bother to try to be modest in the least bit. She finished on the first side, pulled then second one out THEN put the first away and allowed her son to finish. We had an usher offer her a small sheet but she insisted she was fine.
I know as a Christian I'm the minority in this group but is it not common sense that in this scenario she should've covered up? Or made use of the bf'ing room in the nursery??? (which is also fully equipped with monitors so women who need to be excused don't have to miss anything).
Thoughts??

Eta: I didn't expect this topic to get so much attention so quickly..
Anyway just to cover a few reoccurring comments:

-first, this actually really did happen. I did not make this up.

-I never said she shouldn't feed her child...not baby...CHILD. I just said perhaps she could've excused herself to the nursery or used a cover up rather than eposing her entire rack.
-I did not have an issue with the woman bf'ing or the fact that her kid was 4. My issue was that at one point she was fully exposed to everyone who was on the platform...including a panel of men.
-yes, Mary bf'd Jesus. Again, bf'ing was not the issue. I doubt Mary fully exposed herself in the temple or that Jesus was 4 and still being bf'd...especially considering how conservatives Hebrew women were/are. Perhaps if the point is to follow after Mary, maybe more modesty IS in order
-judgmental hypocrite? I'm not even touching that one sense it seems to be the go-to accusation for any non believer anytime a Christian voices an opinion they disagree with. Furthermore I won't comment on the fact that we were instructed TO judge. *gasp. Again, non believers only quote what they feels supports their opinion.
-the child was 4. He could've waited the short duration of the service. The mom could've waited so she wasn't a distraction... Or covered up.
-yes, our society has turned breasts into a sexual object. Knowing that this is the case why would any woman want to expose herself in a room full of men? Churches are open to all people and full of people with a past and some with a present that isn't full of integrity. Just because youre in church doesnt mean you wont come across some less than reputable people. do you think all christians were born saved? again, My only issue is she could have been a little more modest.
-one poster portrayed my thoughts best:
"the attitude of 'I'm gonna bf whenever and wherever I want and if it makes you uncomfortable, suck it up!' Demeans the act of bf'ing from a beautiful, nurturing experience to a belligerent battle of whose 'rights' are more important. And it's an Epic fail in promoting bf'ing".

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
bchic24
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I always used a blanket to keep covered up.

Oostera
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

No. She shouldn't have pulled out her other breast before her son was finished on the first but no, she shouldn't have to cover up or go to another room. Christ was breastfed and, guaranteed, they didn't ask Mary to cover up because breasts just weren't sexual. Breasts are for feeding babies. THAT is what their purpose in life is. NOT to be sexualized. It is our culture that has made them dirty instead of pure.

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM
3 moms liked this

That is completely inappropriate. Sorry, while I will defend nursing in public to the bitter end, I will not defend women who give it a bad name by intentionally exposing themselves. Do slips happen? Yes. Do we sometimes expose a little more skin that we would prefer, yes, but that scenario you just presented was disgusting and I would have been furious, as a woman and a breast feeding mother. Women who just let it all hang out are the entire reason theres a problem with nursing in public! (And while Im fine with extended nursing, not for me but to each their own, I do not feel a four year should be nursed in public like that. He has no immediate necessary demands, unlike a baby, and so he can wait until the service is finished and she can go somewhere private, or at least to the back pew)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Our small church in our old state was very breastfeeding friendly. Pretty much every mom breastfed during service in the pew. No one just whipped it out and exposed themselves. Actually, I have yet to see a woman do this that was from this country (it's acceptable in other countries).
TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Church should be the most welcoming place for a woman to feed her baby the way God intended, for people that believe in God.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Or in restaurants. I'm sorry but the sight and sound of breastfeeding makes me gag and I dont want my meal ruined. And before someone says "well you can leave". I always do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if the place is inappropriate to pop out a container of baby food or a sandwich for an older kid, than it is also inappropriate to pop out a boobie.

I also think 4 yrs old is too old....  But that's another post altogether I guess.

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it would have been fine if she had been discreet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I would think that front pew would be a fairly discrete place to BF.  The only person you would be flashing would be the minister.  Now if the minister decided to BF in the middle of service...

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

no.  just because she's in church she shouldn't leave her breast hanging out when she changes sides.

Quoting Anonymous:

So just because it's church she shouldn't feed her baby? How do you think Mary fed baby Jesus?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured