Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA: Reading another bf'ing post reminded me of something...opinions?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So... I get the inconvenience of having to pack all your stuff up, drag a baby (often screaming) away to another room, and be sometimes isolated just to bf in private... And I don't think it's always necessary. I bf'd both of mine. I'm FOR bf'ing as long as possible.
However, there really are some places where public bf'ing is just not appropriate.
Say... In the middle of church on the front pew. Yes, I've seen this happen. The woman unbuttoned her shirt, pulled her 4 year old up on her lap, and popped her breast right out in the open. She Didn't bother to try to be modest in the least bit. She finished on the first side, pulled then second one out THEN put the first away and allowed her son to finish. We had an usher offer her a small sheet but she insisted she was fine.
I know as a Christian I'm the minority in this group but is it not common sense that in this scenario she should've covered up? Or made use of the bf'ing room in the nursery??? (which is also fully equipped with monitors so women who need to be excused don't have to miss anything).
Thoughts??

Eta: I didn't expect this topic to get so much attention so quickly..
Anyway just to cover a few reoccurring comments:

-first, this actually really did happen. I did not make this up.

-I never said she shouldn't feed her child...not baby...CHILD. I just said perhaps she could've excused herself to the nursery or used a cover up rather than eposing her entire rack.
-I did not have an issue with the woman bf'ing or the fact that her kid was 4. My issue was that at one point she was fully exposed to everyone who was on the platform...including a panel of men.
-yes, Mary bf'd Jesus. Again, bf'ing was not the issue. I doubt Mary fully exposed herself in the temple or that Jesus was 4 and still being bf'd...especially considering how conservatives Hebrew women were/are. Perhaps if the point is to follow after Mary, maybe more modesty IS in order
-judgmental hypocrite? I'm not even touching that one sense it seems to be the go-to accusation for any non believer anytime a Christian voices an opinion they disagree with. Furthermore I won't comment on the fact that we were instructed TO judge. *gasp. Again, non believers only quote what they feels supports their opinion.
-the child was 4. He could've waited the short duration of the service. The mom could've waited so she wasn't a distraction... Or covered up.
-yes, our society has turned breasts into a sexual object. Knowing that this is the case why would any woman want to expose herself in a room full of men? Churches are open to all people and full of people with a past and some with a present that isn't full of integrity. Just because youre in church doesnt mean you wont come across some less than reputable people. do you think all christians were born saved? again, My only issue is she could have been a little more modest.
-one poster portrayed my thoughts best:
"the attitude of 'I'm gonna bf whenever and wherever I want and if it makes you uncomfortable, suck it up!' Demeans the act of bf'ing from a beautiful, nurturing experience to a belligerent battle of whose 'rights' are more important. And it's an Epic fail in promoting bf'ing".

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (141-150):
deepthinker
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know why so many people are against modesty.  I breastfed both my children, but I also pumped.  My daughter was a preemie, so she didn't take as much as a normal sized child early.  I use to have an overflow of milk and I would give breast milk in a bottle in public.  My son was a very large baby, and I didn't need to pump as much or have a lot of bottles, but when I did breastfeed in public, I was discrete.  I have large boobs(G cup) and I know if I can be discreet anyone can, LOL.

I also don't see the need to breastfeed a 4 year old in public.  I don't agree with breastfeeding that long, but to each their own.  But he doesn't need the breast milk due to survival, because at four he eats regular food, that supplies him all he needs.  So to breastfeed a 4 year old in church is just idiotic.  I could see an infant, because that's what they live on and they are usually on a schedule, but not a damn 4year old.  hell, I'm an Atheist, and I wouldn't even pull my boob out in a church, especially for a 4 year old, LOL. 

Donya90
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Of course I meant the tongue in cheek about your kid popping your tit out. The forum we were writing about was regard to a 4 year old. KKK?

I have NO problem with breast feeding. I did it myself with both my girls until 6 mo. However, I do not think the person that my story was about...was just nursing. She wanted to embarass those men. Mind you, I said everyone had left. She could have nursed anywhere within that church 10,000sq ft,....not walk up and do what she did infront of men like that. She wasnt there to ask a question.

I dont know how old you are, but Im sure Im old enough to be your mother. Perhaps you will look at things a bit different when you mature more. This same woman helped with a youth lock in. Brought her baby. Popped her tits out infront of teen boys. Maybe your think that all this is appropriate behavior...its not.

Perhaps you an exhibitionist I dont know. Maybe your a stripper. I dont know and dont care. YOUR the only person to try to agrue a point that is moot.

Now go find your happy place!

Donya90
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Totally agree with what you said!!!!!

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I nurse my almost 14 month old in church all the time and I don't use a cover. It's not like you have to take your shirt completely off to breastfeed. I've never had a child over the age of 2.5 or so ask to nurse in public. They are so busy they just don't think about it. I can't tell you the last time my 2.5 year old twins nursed in public. I just really fail to see what the big deal is. It's her boob not yours. It's her baby not yours. Don't worry about it! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I agree. Leaving your breasts exposed, while getting the baby "ready" is just not appropriate. Good for your dad that he spoke up. I bf too. Life went on...when I had a baby. I made a couple of Zip shirts out of regular shirts that I used while in public. I also made a little bit of fabric to hang down that covered just enough of my breast but didnt cover baby. Weddings, in my opinion, are not places for babies. We asked people not to bring babies to our reception. We paid a lot of money to feed people and have them enjoy themselves. It was the one day I wasnt going to listen to incessent crying, or the temper tantrum of a toddler. Nobody had a problem with my request, we had a lovely reception. I did not take my baby, when my daughter was asked to be the flower girl at a wedding. I pumped extra breast milk while baby stayed at home with dad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Im not sure who said, you must not be very educated to put a bf baby on a schedule. I have two degrees and working on a third. I put my baby on a schedule. Mine, not hers. My milk came in around the scheduled time. No problem. I dont agree with bf on demand. For some, its a mess. Sometimes they want it two hours later, sometimes 4 hours later. I found myself "leaking" all over the friggen place. I couldnt go anywhere bf on demand unless I took an extra shirt, bra, sometimes pants as I leaked all over. (I learned this lesson with my firstborn son.) Breast milk is very sticky. At least mine was. I HAD to put her on a schedule so that my breasts wouldnt leak. She was a healthy happy robust baby. Just like, everytime a baby cries...you dont pop a bottle in its mouth. Thats why so many kids are overweight. All of my babies were at a healthy weight being bf. None of them had any ear infections, colds, nothing.

asaffell
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Hahaha, no attitude can demean breastfeeding as a form of nurturing. That's just silly.

And refusing to bend to someone else's discomfort over my baby's hunger is part of mothering for me. Sorry 'bout it.

asaffell
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Your supply naturally regulates and you stop leaking. That would have happened without a schedule. And unless your degrees are about lactation, that doesn't mean anything to me. The experts in infant feeding (doctors, medical researchers) agree that breastfed babies should NOT be put on a feeding schedule.

Quoting Anonymous:

Im not sure who said, you must not be very educated to put a bf baby on a schedule. I have two degrees and working on a third. I put my baby on a schedule. Mine, not hers. My milk came in around the scheduled time. No problem. I dont agree with bf on demand. For some, its a mess. Sometimes they want it two hours later, sometimes 4 hours later. I found myself "leaking" all over the friggen place. I couldnt go anywhere bf on demand unless I took an extra shirt, bra, sometimes pants as I leaked all over. (I learned this lesson with my firstborn son.) Breast milk is very sticky. At least mine was. I HAD to put her on a schedule so that my breasts wouldnt leak. She was a healthy happy robust baby. Just like, everytime a baby cries...you dont pop a bottle in its mouth. Thats why so many kids are overweight. All of my babies were at a healthy weight being bf. None of them had any ear infections, colds, nothing.

asaffell
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

AAP also says to continue breastfeeding as long as it is mutually desirable for mom and child. 

Quoting paganmommy4:

My problem is that her child IS FOUR.. Plenty old enough to no long bf.. That would be mommy having serious issues.. Milk on tap is effin crazy. And she should of covered up.. AAP recommends up to 1 yr of age right? Time to wean junior and have him drink from a cup like everyone else.. EFFING GROSS

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I think Im going to quit cafe mom. There are some real B****Y women. Some have no respect for another opinion. Some of you really rip others apart, for no reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)