Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ETA: Reading another bf'ing post reminded me of something...opinions?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So... I get the inconvenience of having to pack all your stuff up, drag a baby (often screaming) away to another room, and be sometimes isolated just to bf in private... And I don't think it's always necessary. I bf'd both of mine. I'm FOR bf'ing as long as possible.
However, there really are some places where public bf'ing is just not appropriate.
Say... In the middle of church on the front pew. Yes, I've seen this happen. The woman unbuttoned her shirt, pulled her 4 year old up on her lap, and popped her breast right out in the open. She Didn't bother to try to be modest in the least bit. She finished on the first side, pulled then second one out THEN put the first away and allowed her son to finish. We had an usher offer her a small sheet but she insisted she was fine.
I know as a Christian I'm the minority in this group but is it not common sense that in this scenario she should've covered up? Or made use of the bf'ing room in the nursery??? (which is also fully equipped with monitors so women who need to be excused don't have to miss anything).
Thoughts??

Eta: I didn't expect this topic to get so much attention so quickly..
Anyway just to cover a few reoccurring comments:

-first, this actually really did happen. I did not make this up.

-I never said she shouldn't feed her child...not baby...CHILD. I just said perhaps she could've excused herself to the nursery or used a cover up rather than eposing her entire rack.
-I did not have an issue with the woman bf'ing or the fact that her kid was 4. My issue was that at one point she was fully exposed to everyone who was on the platform...including a panel of men.
-yes, Mary bf'd Jesus. Again, bf'ing was not the issue. I doubt Mary fully exposed herself in the temple or that Jesus was 4 and still being bf'd...especially considering how conservatives Hebrew women were/are. Perhaps if the point is to follow after Mary, maybe more modesty IS in order
-judgmental hypocrite? I'm not even touching that one sense it seems to be the go-to accusation for any non believer anytime a Christian voices an opinion they disagree with. Furthermore I won't comment on the fact that we were instructed TO judge. *gasp. Again, non believers only quote what they feels supports their opinion.
-the child was 4. He could've waited the short duration of the service. The mom could've waited so she wasn't a distraction... Or covered up.
-yes, our society has turned breasts into a sexual object. Knowing that this is the case why would any woman want to expose herself in a room full of men? Churches are open to all people and full of people with a past and some with a present that isn't full of integrity. Just because youre in church doesnt mean you wont come across some less than reputable people. do you think all christians were born saved? again, My only issue is she could have been a little more modest.
-one poster portrayed my thoughts best:
"the attitude of 'I'm gonna bf whenever and wherever I want and if it makes you uncomfortable, suck it up!' Demeans the act of bf'ing from a beautiful, nurturing experience to a belligerent battle of whose 'rights' are more important. And it's an Epic fail in promoting bf'ing".

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
yperez0209
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM
She can bf anywhere she wants for as long as she wants as long as she covers up. There is no reason why she should expose herself. And yes we live in a culture that breast are sexualized, that's just how it is. Apart from that we are called, as Catholic Christians, to modesty. I remember with my first I was so embarrised that I would always end up on the bathroom....that's the other extreme. I had every right to nurse her in a clean enviroment but I grew tiered of the looks. And about nursing a 4 yr old, he is old enough to understand that he has to wait till church is over to eat, regardless of what he's eating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

church is the only place i've ever excused myself to breastfeed.  only because 15 years ago, nursing clothes weren't available many places and when i could find them, they were so expensive, i couldn't afford them.  i had to practically get naked to get my boob out.  i think if i attended church now, i would sit on the back row and feed the baby if i needed to.

momalee40
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I also bf both of mine and plan to this one but i agree totally with you. I also wonder why she didnt have another plan for distracting a 4 yr old ? Im not against nursing at that age, thats not the point but it is pretty much for comfort with an older child and maybe she needs to find other ways for when they are in public. I have to say, these are the moms who give bf a bad name.
audreesmama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you're full of shit, and it's none of you business.

When I go to church, I certainly don't go to be judged. That's insane. Why would you pass judgement on another person AT CHURCH??

This is why I don't like most Christians. They have trouble following their own doctrine.
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I nurse in church every just about every Sunday. But, most of the women who attend my church do the same. Nobody so much as bats an eye. Of course, considering how "old" most of our church is(there are old ladies that love telling me about how they changed my and my DAD'S diapers lol)......none of them care. It's just part of life.

Now, I wouldn't nurse in my son's classrooms without a cover, but pretty much anywhere else is fair game. :-P
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

People breastfeed four year olds?  What the hell is up with that?

kiralyn
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't care. Cover/no cover. I mean really, it's just a boob. It's being used to feed. It's not being displayed for attention or in a sexual manner. Everyone needs to get over this phobia of seeing some boob skin or a flash of nipple. It's really not a big deal.
emsmom627
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I personally think it is something private but get jumped all over for saying that.  People think it is ok to do in a restaurant so why would church not be ok.  It is either ok to do it in public or not. 

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Well our priest at our church didn't want a cry/nursing room for moms when our new church was built. He said the babies are part of the congregation too.

So I'm supposed to just sit there with my kid screaming where no one can hear the service? I think not. The looks you get are just unreal. Funny that priest was moved and they are redoing part of the church and there will be a cry/nursing room.

I guess its whatever the mom is comfortable with. It's not what I'd do but I guess the mom didn't want to miss the service.
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Lol,the "sound" of breastfeeding? It sounds exactly like bottle-feeding, does that make you gag too?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Or in restaurants. I'm sorry but the sight and sound of breastfeeding makes me gag and I dont want my meal ruined. And before someone says "well you can leave". I always do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured