Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ETA: Reading another bf'ing post reminded me of something...opinions?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So... I get the inconvenience of having to pack all your stuff up, drag a baby (often screaming) away to another room, and be sometimes isolated just to bf in private... And I don't think it's always necessary. I bf'd both of mine. I'm FOR bf'ing as long as possible.
However, there really are some places where public bf'ing is just not appropriate.
Say... In the middle of church on the front pew. Yes, I've seen this happen. The woman unbuttoned her shirt, pulled her 4 year old up on her lap, and popped her breast right out in the open. She Didn't bother to try to be modest in the least bit. She finished on the first side, pulled then second one out THEN put the first away and allowed her son to finish. We had an usher offer her a small sheet but she insisted she was fine.
I know as a Christian I'm the minority in this group but is it not common sense that in this scenario she should've covered up? Or made use of the bf'ing room in the nursery??? (which is also fully equipped with monitors so women who need to be excused don't have to miss anything).
Thoughts??

Eta: I didn't expect this topic to get so much attention so quickly..
Anyway just to cover a few reoccurring comments:

-first, this actually really did happen. I did not make this up.

-I never said she shouldn't feed her child...not baby...CHILD. I just said perhaps she could've excused herself to the nursery or used a cover up rather than eposing her entire rack.
-I did not have an issue with the woman bf'ing or the fact that her kid was 4. My issue was that at one point she was fully exposed to everyone who was on the platform...including a panel of men.
-yes, Mary bf'd Jesus. Again, bf'ing was not the issue. I doubt Mary fully exposed herself in the temple or that Jesus was 4 and still being bf'd...especially considering how conservatives Hebrew women were/are. Perhaps if the point is to follow after Mary, maybe more modesty IS in order
-judgmental hypocrite? I'm not even touching that one sense it seems to be the go-to accusation for any non believer anytime a Christian voices an opinion they disagree with. Furthermore I won't comment on the fact that we were instructed TO judge. *gasp. Again, non believers only quote what they feels supports their opinion.
-the child was 4. He could've waited the short duration of the service. The mom could've waited so she wasn't a distraction... Or covered up.
-yes, our society has turned breasts into a sexual object. Knowing that this is the case why would any woman want to expose herself in a room full of men? Churches are open to all people and full of people with a past and some with a present that isn't full of integrity. Just because youre in church doesnt mean you wont come across some less than reputable people. do you think all christians were born saved? again, My only issue is she could have been a little more modest.
-one poster portrayed my thoughts best:
"the attitude of 'I'm gonna bf whenever and wherever I want and if it makes you uncomfortable, suck it up!' Demeans the act of bf'ing from a beautiful, nurturing experience to a belligerent battle of whose 'rights' are more important. And it's an Epic fail in promoting bf'ing".

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Would it been different if she did cover up? I only ask because I have done that but my lo was months old not years an did use a cover...
Sweetest_Britt
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Man....if you can't breastfeed in front of God....who CAN you breastfeed in front of? Im sure God probably didn't have an issue with it. LOL

andrealeeanne
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Nope, how do you think women fed their babies in biblical times? Long before breasts were the hypersexualized commodity they are today, a woman would have fed her baby the exact same way. 

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Actually, yea. And the sound of suckling pets.

Quoting JenB1983:

Lol,the "sound" of breastfeeding? It sounds exactly like bottle-feeding, does that make you gag too?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Or in restaurants. I'm sorry but the sight and sound of breastfeeding makes me gag and I dont want my meal ruined. And before someone says "well you can leave". I always do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
audreesmama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Just the 'Christians' who follow him :-/.

Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

Man....if you can't breastfeed in front of God....who CAN you breastfeed in front of? Im sure God probably didn't have an issue with it. LOL

momalee40
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting audreesmama:

I think you're full of shit, and it's none of you business.

When I go to church, I certainly don't go to be judged. That's insane. Why would you pass judgement on another person AT CHURCH??

This is why I don't like most Christians. They have trouble following their own doctrine.

Are you serious ? This has nothing to do with Christianity and i have a problem with people like you who feel its ok to judge others also. ! Apparently you judging her and her faith is ok since you are so open minded. There is nothing wrong with bf, she bf her children ! The problem here is a mom who didnt even try to distract her 4 YR OLD child in another , less disrupting way. The kid is 4 ! Its time to learn a little self control . How will a child ever learn boundaries when mom shows them none ?
a5hl3yC
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

If covered then no not a problem but this wasn't right.

I'm so sick of this debate being about it being sexual rarely have I read someone say "oh she can't pull out her boob I'll be in the mood" no it's not about the sexual aspect it's the fact that the boob is intended for that child and S/O if the mother chooses so. Not for the attention of everyone else. Let's say the woman isn't breastfeeding she just wants to walk around shirtless is this at all difference since it's just strictly not sexual it's just people walking around how many would feel comfortable then?

audreesmama
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Hey, I'm not a Christian and I don't go to church. I never claimed to be, unlike the op. I'm only holding her to what her church teaches. She is passing judgement, as are you now, on a mother for breastfeeding. If it is that disturbing, call CPS. If they tell you it isn't child abuse (which it isn't) then deal with it. The only person who doesn't know boundaries here is the one who passes judgment on the bf mom. A breastfeeding relationship is desirable as long as it is mutually desirable.

And FYI--my aunt is STILL breastfeeding her special needs 7 year old. Ashley looks 'normal' but has severe problems and needs breast milk or formula. How do you and the op know this child wasn't special needs, also? And...why do you care either way??

Quoting momalee40:

Quoting audreesmama:

When I go to church, I certainly don't go to be judged. That's insane. Why would you pass judgement on another person AT CHURCH??

This is why I don't like most Christians. They have trouble following their own doctrine.

Are you serious ? This has nothing to do with Christianity and i have a problem with people like you who feel its ok to judge others also. ! Apparently you judging her and her faith is ok since you are so open minded. There is nothing wrong with bf, she bf her children ! The problem here is a mom who didnt even try to distract her 4 YR OLD child in another , less disrupting way. The kid is 4 ! Its time to learn a little self control . How will a child ever learn boundaries when mom shows them none ?

kiralyn
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Do you refuse your child hugs and kisses when they want them, in order to teach them "boundaries?"
Breastfeeding isn't distracting unless you have some sort of issue with breasts. I wouldn't even bat an eye to a child nursing, it's not a big deal. Most of the time it just looks like cuddling anyways!

Quoting momalee40:

Quoting audreesmama:

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM
My preachers wife breast feeds in church as have I. It's obviously not a big deal at all churches.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured