Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA: Reading another bf'ing post reminded me of something...opinions?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So... I get the inconvenience of having to pack all your stuff up, drag a baby (often screaming) away to another room, and be sometimes isolated just to bf in private... And I don't think it's always necessary. I bf'd both of mine. I'm FOR bf'ing as long as possible.
However, there really are some places where public bf'ing is just not appropriate.
Say... In the middle of church on the front pew. Yes, I've seen this happen. The woman unbuttoned her shirt, pulled her 4 year old up on her lap, and popped her breast right out in the open. She Didn't bother to try to be modest in the least bit. She finished on the first side, pulled then second one out THEN put the first away and allowed her son to finish. We had an usher offer her a small sheet but she insisted she was fine.
I know as a Christian I'm the minority in this group but is it not common sense that in this scenario she should've covered up? Or made use of the bf'ing room in the nursery??? (which is also fully equipped with monitors so women who need to be excused don't have to miss anything).
Thoughts??

Eta: I didn't expect this topic to get so much attention so quickly..
Anyway just to cover a few reoccurring comments:

-first, this actually really did happen. I did not make this up.

-I never said she shouldn't feed her child...not baby...CHILD. I just said perhaps she could've excused herself to the nursery or used a cover up rather than eposing her entire rack.
-I did not have an issue with the woman bf'ing or the fact that her kid was 4. My issue was that at one point she was fully exposed to everyone who was on the platform...including a panel of men.
-yes, Mary bf'd Jesus. Again, bf'ing was not the issue. I doubt Mary fully exposed herself in the temple or that Jesus was 4 and still being bf'd...especially considering how conservatives Hebrew women were/are. Perhaps if the point is to follow after Mary, maybe more modesty IS in order
-judgmental hypocrite? I'm not even touching that one sense it seems to be the go-to accusation for any non believer anytime a Christian voices an opinion they disagree with. Furthermore I won't comment on the fact that we were instructed TO judge. *gasp. Again, non believers only quote what they feels supports their opinion.
-the child was 4. He could've waited the short duration of the service. The mom could've waited so she wasn't a distraction... Or covered up.
-yes, our society has turned breasts into a sexual object. Knowing that this is the case why would any woman want to expose herself in a room full of men? Churches are open to all people and full of people with a past and some with a present that isn't full of integrity. Just because youre in church doesnt mean you wont come across some less than reputable people. do you think all christians were born saved? again, My only issue is she could have been a little more modest.
-one poster portrayed my thoughts best:
"the attitude of 'I'm gonna bf whenever and wherever I want and if it makes you uncomfortable, suck it up!' Demeans the act of bf'ing from a beautiful, nurturing experience to a belligerent battle of whose 'rights' are more important. And it's an Epic fail in promoting bf'ing".

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
brebugmom91
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I don't understand how at a church is inappropriate. GOD MADE BOOBS FOR THAT REASON. Lol. 

brebugmom91
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Lol! I am the same way! Kissing sounds are my main thing. *shudders*

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Actually, yea. And the sound of suckling pets.

Quoting JenB1983:

Lol,the "sound" of breastfeeding? It sounds exactly like bottle-feeding, does that make you gag too?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Or in restaurants. I'm sorry but the sight and sound of breastfeeding makes me gag and I dont want my meal ruined. And before someone says "well you can leave". I always do.

kiralyn
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, where do you live?? I see more breast in ads, sometimes even on regular women walking around with low cut shirts, than I can see when a mom breastfeeds, even without a cover!

The problem is people like you acting like breastfeeding women walk around with their boobs hanging out for everyone to see, when that is rarely, rarely the case. I've never seen what women in here claim to see so much. So much that they generalize and act like the majority of moms do that, when we know its not the case. I live jn a state with one of the highest breastfeeding rates in the country, and I still haven't seen that...ever.

Quoting a5hl3yC:

If covered then no not a problem but this wasn't right.

I'm so sick of this debate being about it being sexual rarely have I read someone say "oh she can't pull out her boob I'll be in the mood" no it's not about the sexual aspect it's the fact that the boob is intended for that child and S/O if the mother chooses so. Not for the attention of everyone else. Let's say the woman isn't breastfeeding she just wants to walk around shirtless is this at all difference since it's just strictly not sexual it's just people walking around how many would feel comfortable then?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm all for breastfeeding wherever and whenever the hell you want to, but have some decency. Just because your breastfeeding doesn't mean you can let your boobies hang out. I've been breastfeeding my son for almost 14 months and no one except when at home has seen my boobies hanging out. Have some modesty!

momalee40
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting kiralyn:

. There is a big difference in snuggling a child and pulling both boobs out on the front row of a church or anywhere to nurse a 4 yr old ! I suppose if the child wanted to strip off naked and run up and down the isles, then that should be allowed also ? Its the anything goes type of parenting that has made our world an immoral place. Nursing a baby that needs to eat is in no way the same as being too lazy to otherwise distract a demanding 4 yr old that should know that some things arent allowed in some situations.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I know. I can stand it when its me but the sounds others make, make me sick.

Quoting brebugmom91:

Lol! I am the same way! Kissing sounds are my main thing. *shudders*

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Actually, yea. And the sound of suckling pets.

Quoting JenB1983:

Lol,the "sound" of breastfeeding? It sounds exactly like bottle-feeding, does that make you gag too?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Or in restaurants. I'm sorry but the sight and sound of breastfeeding makes me gag and I dont want my meal ruined. And before someone says "well you can leave". I always do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this
I nurse. But I don't feel the need to show my breast. This is just my personal opinion. Nursing mothers who let their boob hang out want to prove a point. They want people to question them because it makes them feel superior to say I can feed my baby wherever. They act like nursing gives them super powers. If you don't agree with how I feel about it fine. That's just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

lol -- No one told her not to feed her child. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So just because it's church she shouldn't feed her baby? How do you think Mary fed baby Jesus?

jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Hell no she shouldn't have left! It's just a boob, for cryin out loud. The whole Puritan-esque "oh boobs are dirty" attitude is so bizarre to me.

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I have bf anywhere that I have been and baby was hungry. I have never excused myself to another room or used a cover. I try to be discreet but I don't act that I'm doing something shameful and go hide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)